DSL modem recommendation for 2008

rogerh

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleared cache, powered down entire system (including DSL modem) - no change.

Seems like the system gets to the point of loading the 'next' page, and something holds it back and it just stalls.....

Thanks for the help - hopefully there is nothing you like better than a knotty linux problem. Merry Christmas!!!!

Edited by rogerh

OK, I am running 2008.1 as well with a DSL ethernet connection. Not that this will be of any help! :P

Are there any errors or issues mentioned in dmesg?

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 looks like this. How does this compare with yours?

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

ONBOOT=yes

METRIC=10

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is exactly the same as you have.

I have been running a modem, with no changes to the firewall. Is the treatment of DSL vs modem different for the firewall, and is an adjustment there required?? Perhaps that could explain why the authentication sites are problematic?? I did find where the DNS was set, but did not see any kind of control panel for the firewall. I have noticed a lot more scanning attacks since I went to DSL.....

Edited by rogerh

The adsl modem came from my ISP and is a d-link 2320b - I don't think there is anything near a firewall in there (if there is, it is missing a lot that is hitting Linux). Maybe the modem is the problem - probably pretty inexpensive item. I will call the ISP on Monday and see if they have any insight. I am pretty sure that they don't provide much, if any, in the way of any Linux support.

The adsl modem came from my ISP and is a d-link 2320b - I don't think there is anything near a firewall in there

Your DSL-2320B has both a firewall and a web-based GUI to modify your settings.

Simply click on:

http://192.168.1.1

then enter your user name and password or the admin and admin password.

More info here:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=554

Interesting enough, I can't load that page via DSL to get the information. Hopefully I can get in via modem, find the info I need, and I assume backward configure the DSL modem. Not sure how this works, but it sounds interesting!!

Looks like a solution may be at hand!!

Thanks -- Roger

I read through the info on the D-link site, but doesn't seem to cover the firewall or what the GUI looks like. I did try to log in on http://192.168.1.1, but it keeps rejecting my login efforts. The website indicates 'admin' and blank are the defaults (didn't work), "admin" and my admin password (didn't work), and user and user password (didn't work). Not sure if this is an artifact of the modem problem or something else.... I sort of assumed the link was pretty direct and should work?

On a slightly different topic (assuming I do get in to configure the modem). I am a novice at the firewall stuff, and I plan on not moving from a single computer configuration (the modem will only be serving my home computer). How should I configure the setup?? My plan was to rely on the Linux firewall, and not use the modem firewall (having both may be causing my grief, I guess). Suggestions and reasoning will be helpful. I also could use some guidance on what I will be seeing on the GUI and what actions to take (unless it is pretty obvious). I am a bit out of my depth here...

Thanks -- Roger

I did manage to login to the GUI - missed the "admin" and "admin" until I found the manual on a different site and downloaded. Looks like the following features are disabled - firewall, IGMP multicast, NAT, and Quality of Service. Any hints as to what I need to access or change to try to address my access problem would be appreciated....

With my very limited knowledge, it looks like the lack of NAT could be contributing to my problem??

Regards -- Roger

Edited by rogerh