MS Hit Linux thru a Matrix Spoof

ramfree17

I looked a little at the rest of the site and the other pages all have pics of MS' presentation at comdex, so I am thinking it must be real. With that said, does this mean that MS feels that Linux is this huge force that needs to be beaten?

If so, I think Linux has won a major battle. We beat Microsoft, woohoo!!!

Yeah, it ain't funny, in any sense of the word. A stupid reason for Bill and that other guy to play around with wires and movie affects. Personally, I think they should leave that kind of thing to the privacy of their offices. Ugh!

i thought they got it backwards. linux should be the red pill, as M$ is the monopoly. i also thought that they were trying to advertise their new scratch pad ability. where you can literally write (by hand) a letter. its a good thing the matrix wasnt made based off of that or i would never have watched it.

With that said, does this mean that MS feels that Linux is this huge force that needs to be beaten?

If so, I think Linux has won a major battle. We beat Microsoft, woohoo!!!

M$ has openly admited that linux is the 2nd largest threat. whats the 1st largest threat? economics!. yet in the desktop area linux holds maybe about 5%. aparently 5% is grounds to loose sleep over, over at M$. in the server area the story is very different. M$ only holds about 40% (i think). out of that, linux is picking up 20% or so.

the market has greeted M$'s latest products (windows server 2003 and office 2003) with little more than a yaw. yet M$ makes most of its money here (office products). windows longhorn is still a couple years out.

Yeah, it ain't funny, in any sense of the word. A stupid reason for Bill and that other guy to play around with wires and movie affects. Personally, I think they should leave that kind of thing to the privacy of their offices. Ugh!

but you have to give credit to bill and steve for having enough guts (or stupidity) to do the stupid acts in the slideshow. :cheesy:

ciao!

In politics, this would be the standard operational proceedure. You make yourself out to be the "good guys", even when you are the one up to no good. It confuses the general population, and some people will even believe the propaganda about your adversary.

It shows that Linux is indeed threatenng Microsoft, and that they are taking the threat seriously.

I too think it is pretty gutsy!

MS is the machines+matrix world, and they turn it around... ah well.

In any case, the fact that they do this, means that they acknowledge that

1) everybody knows linux

2) they see linux as a threat and want to paint it black, and don't mind showing that they see linux as a threat

I see this as good news for Linux, even Gates and Ballmer flashing linux logos at Comdex...

They just made themselves look real bad.

They are portraying themselves as the underdog. Fighting the machienes, "the man". They are admiting that Linux is a HUGE threat.

Think about this,

There are only 2 divisoins of M$ that actually make money. They're MSN web crap and they're software end. MSN only makes a few points profit. The software end makes over 400% profit. Shows you that they're charging an arm and a leg for they're software and don't need to. With Linux taking the market the way that it is, M$ could be in real trouble. If they loose they're software end they don't have a leg to stand on.

Remember Longhorn :tm: is costing M$ almost half of they're spendable cash. If that tanks, they still have a lot of money, but less then they fell comfortable with.

This Matrix thing is a cheap attempt at making Bill and the rest of M$ look "hip". The only thing it did was make them look sad. They should spend the money it took to make that flick and better they're code.

For the record, I predic that M$ will loose a LOT more market share and within 10 years release a Linux Distro bundled with M$ Office for Linux. This will be the only way they can attempt to make money.

Don't you all remember the infamous Halloween Papers??? These were from 1997-1998, and MS Internal documents that got leaked, from Board Meetings. In those they acknowledged to themselves that linx back then was ALREADY superior to their OS, that it was indeed a THREAT, and the only method they could come up with to try and destroy Linux OS, was the FUD campaign. This was due to the fact that Linux was not by a single Company that MSFT could so easily destroy, but, a whole bunch of very talented programmers scattered all over the planet, doing it for FUN.

The only real point of attack that MSFT could find, was Stallman's political leanings, which is decidedly left of left.

To Microsoft and at least SCO, the cutesy little, newly hatched Penguin, has grown up into

The BIG

The Very BAD

Tuxinator!

In those they acknowledged to themselves that linx back then was ALREADY superior to their OS, that it was indeed a THREAT, and the only method they could come up with to try and destroy Linux OS, was the FUD campaign.

... yup. AND to consider Copyright and *Intellectual Property*. Notice a trend here?