Laptop/LCD resolution

coverup

If you have CRT, you can have several display resolution modes in XF86Config, and it is easy to switch between say 1400x1050, 1280x1024, and 1024x768. I wonder if laptops give you this kind of choice? I have just ordered a laptop with SXGA 1400x1050 (I kinda like sharp graphics) but for my eyes, 1024x768 is just right for textprocessing, so I wonder whether it is possible to setup X so I could switch between the two modes?

You can use Mandrake Control Centre to adjust the display resolution while X is running. I'm not sure it was designed for frequent changes, or how KDE/Gnome will re-act. But give it a go, should work.

MDK Control Centre -> Hardware -> Change your screen resolution

Edit:

D'OH Just remembered you can also adjust your resolution on the fly with:

"alt ctrl +" to increase res

"alt ctrl -" to decrease res

Use the + and - keys on the number pad, for some reason it doesn't like the other keys.

Edited by mtweidmann

I have a laptop with 1400x1050, and really love the resolution. I don't recommend running it at any other resolution, however; unlike on a CRT, the LCD's pixels are fixed, and the display has to fake it to display any other resolution -- the result will be bigger, but also blurry, text. I'd recommend keeping it at the recommended resolution, and adjusting the zoom of you particular application to reach your comfort level.

I've been having all sorts of problems with getting 1024x768 on my laptop, but found a fairly ugly hack . I havn't found a way of switching between resolutions as the ctrl++/- doesn't work because I don't have a keypad (not sure how many laptops do). Maybe you could set up two different virtual desktops somehow?

Oh, and my screen isn't blurry or anything at the lower-than-native resolution.