9.2 on inspiron 5000e

Dustpuppy

:help: I've installed Mandrake 9.2 on my Dell inspiron 5000e. The problem is my screen resolution is stuck at 1400x1050 which seriously screws with my eyes. I want to put it to 1024x768 but can't find a way that doesn't disable the GUI. I've tried:

- at setup, set a lower resolution than 1400x1050, but it returns the screen configuration error, and if I carry on it won't start up X after the install.

- using the control centre in KDE. After logging out X won't start.

- manually changing the /etc/X11/xf86config-4 file. Again, after logging out X won't start.

- manually changing the `virtual' setting on the config file to 1024 768. After logout, you guessed it, X won't work.

This is really serious as I won't be able to use Mandrake if I can't change the resolution. Help!

probably a stupid question, but can your screen handle 1024x768? many laptop screens have native resolutions and won't run at anything higher or lower. my powerbook will only run at 1024x768 for instance. nothing lower, nothing higher. I say this only because you have tried every method I can think of.

Ok - I've made it work, but have no idea why!

I had a look at the log file generated when I tried "startx" and found a line:

Not using default mode "1024x768" (vrefresh out of range)

so I changed the vrefresh in the config-4 file. This page gave me the courage to yank it all the way up to

20-200

which then gave me X at 1024x768 when I started it. Hooray, but what on EARTH is Mandrake thinking of????

Thanks for your time.