Network Card

Guest Graeme43

Guest Graeme43

tetex-2.0.210mdk.i586

tkInter-2.3-3mdk.i586

totem-0.99.4-4mdk.i586

webmin.1.100-2mdk.noarch

they all dont install and i need to re-download disk 2 ( and i hope they dont do anything about internet )

i can install them without reinstalling Mandrake 9.2 right

Ok, I have a NexNIC ND010.. Windows recons its Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

I cannot get online with Mandrake 9.2 furious3 since i got my new motherboard, case and Geforce FX 5600 ( 9.1 wont either so i assume them packages arent the cause.. their description was nothing to do apart from the webmin admin tool or something)

The card works in Windows

It could be motherboard settings that linux dont like.. it gets an IP during boot, but its different from my windows one

It is really annoying... My ip is assigned DCHP ( i think.. NTL - Cable modem in the UK)

IRQ's are assigned to PCI Devices

Thanks

If i dont get it going soon im gonna check if it still works with redhat :wall:

I changed slot of network card and it still not work :zzz:

:cry:

Edited by Graeme43

I think you can install mandrake 9.2 without those packages.. You may not be able to watch videos, but as long as your mandrake 9.2 works, you can download those rpms from any mandrake 9.2 mirrors later on.

Anyway can you just force the load of the driver by using

modprobe rtl8139too

If you want to make it stick edit the /etc/modules.conf so that there is a line

alias eth0 rtl8139too

Then use drakconnect to set up the networking.

Guest Graeme43

I can get online in Redhat, but seen as i have a Geforce FX 5600 i just get a black screen when using graphical install and get error after a while saying it cannot start graphics or something :wall:

So why doesnt mandrake want to work with it :screwy:

mandrake says

eth0 no ip dhcp 8139too down

and it also comes up as localhost where as redhat has the proper one...

in network config thing

:hanged:

Edited by Graeme43

Well.. I guess that since FX5600 is too new a card for a regular nv driver for X, it doesn't start the graphical install (although why it doesn't use Vesa is beyond me).

Anyway, if you have the networking working in RedHat, you can basically copy the configuration files over to Mandrake. They use the same configuration system. The files that can be copied are /etc/modules.conf and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or whatever) and /etc/hosts

Another thing you should think about is that your cd is corrupted. Oh, it may be able to copy the files fine, but the driver file itself is corrupted. I actually tried installing mandrake 9.2 in a spare computer with rtl8139 network card and it works perfectly.

Guest Graeme43

Im redownloading the disks just now as i got some corrupt packages

is there any program that can read and write to linux partitions in windows as i could use that to copy the files

As it works in redhat.. i got told it should just need configuring and im 100% positive its linux compatible ( it is B) )

:screwy:

Yes it uses the VESA driver.. i done some google searches and its a common problem with the FX series cards

but hopefully i can get mandrake to get online as i prefer mandrake

and by the way, 9.1 wont get online so i doubt my 9.2 and 9.1 cds are corrupt.. but im redownloading 9.2 to make sure :thumbs:

Write, I dunno.

[Edit: as written on the site, the thing now has *experimental* write support]

As for read, maybe "Explore2fs"? Maybe not exactly what you want, but might come in handy now and then.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

If you believe you installed from cds burned from corrupted isos, then reinstall. It'll be faster than trying to fix the mess and you'll never be sure you fixed everything. Check the md5sums of all your downloaded isos before burning and try burning at a slower speed to insure accuracy. Using md5sum is the only way to make sure you have good downloads.

Once you have good downloads and burns, try installing in expert mode by hitting F1 as soon as you see the initial install screen. This will take you to a boot prompt where you should type "linux noapic" w/o quotes and hit enter. I know 9.1 had a problem with certain realtek cards that could only be solved by passing the noapic option. 9.2 may have the same problem. I'm fairly certain that's your problem given what you describe.

Also, a few corrections. DragonMage, the proper driver is "8139too" not "rtl8139too" IIRC. Adjust the modprobe and modules.conf advice accordingly. I believe Explore2fs is only for ext2 and you should not attempt to use it on other filesystems.

Guest Graeme43

WHOOPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :jester::jester:

pmpatrick, thankyou!!! B)

im typing this in mandrake now :)

all i need to do is get sound from my sblive 1024 and nvidia drivers ( it cant find something for my kernel)

:headbang: