Nvidia drivers in Mdk 9.2

Darkelve

as i dont know how to do it myself as it keeps saying i dont have the kernel header files..

nice screenshot btw  :headbang:

As bvc says, you probably do not have the kernel-source installed. I had the same problem. Get the kernel-SOURCE file from one of the mirrors, should be on the one you got your iso's from in one of the folders above (I incidentally downloaded the kernel srpm itself at first :oops: )

Also, before you start, might be a good idea to look at this first, then practice on a dummy file:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4473

As for the screenshots, thanks. I love it! It's easy on the eyes, even though there's a bit of glitter. But I don't mind a bit of glitter ;)

Edited by Darkelve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Graeme43

I'm scared if i do anything ill break my linux :screwy:

but I'm really desperate to try and switch to it from windows.. windows is annoying

furious3

im just left with sound and nvidia drivers for mandrake linux 9.2 :jester:

i havent downloaded a kernel source

hmm

once this install is going fine im KEEPING it fine :headbang:

ive installed nvidia drivers in redhat before :jester:

but now i cant do it as fx 5600 is not supported.. but im not using redhat anymore

btw do you know how to change lilo to boot mandrake as deafult as i set it to winblows just incase of linux not working :oops:

Edited by Graeme43

I'm scared if i do anything ill break my linux  :screwy:

but I'm really desperate to try and switch to it from windows.. windows is annoying

furious3

im just left with sound and nvidia drivers for mandrake linux 9.2  :jester:

i havent downloaded a kernel source

>>> you should

hmm

once this install is going fine im KEEPING it fine :headbang:

ive installed nvidia drivers in redhat before  :jester:

but now i cant do it as fx 5600 is not supported.. but im not using redhat anymore

>>> if it worked in redhat with this card it'll work in mdk. it depends on nvidia supporting linux drivers for their cards not the distros. Check the nvidia website to see for sure if you don't think drivers are available

btw do you know how to change lilo to boot mandrake as deafult as i set it to winblows just incase of linux not working  :oops:

>>> edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the line that says default= to the label that mdk has. If this confuses you just post your /etc/lilo.conf and i'l show you the changes to make

i hate the new quotes

Graeme, you are going to have to install the kernel source; your .run file works fine, it just wants to compile since the built-in precompiled binaries don't match the kernel you are using.

So with

uname -r

you get to see which kernel you are running, then you are going to have to download those from a contrib mirror; if you have set up your sources properly, you can also do

urpmi kernel-source

Guest Graeme43

[root@cpc3-kirk1-3-0-cust193 graeme43]# uname -r

2.4.22-10mdk

[root@cpc3-kirk1-3-0-cust193 graeme43]# urpmi kernel-source

no package named kernel-source

thats what it says

Graeme43,

then you are going to have to download those from a contrib mirror; if you have set up your sources properly, you can also do

urpmi kernel-source

kernel-source is NOT on the cd's. It has to be downloaded separately. The easiest way IMO is to

uname -r

find the kernel-source version that closely matches the running kernel>download to a dir>cd /to/dir>ls (to see it's there)>rpm -ivh>drag mouse over kernel-source-x.x.x-xx.i586.rpm>thumb-click or middle-click to get

rpm -ivh kernel-source-x.x.x-xx.i586.rpm

and hit Enter.

just like upgrading the kernel. Well, that's how I do it.

You can do it! Hell, if I can do it, anybody can! ;)

and if it does fail after all... well bummer, I think we've all gone through reinstalls in the beginning. 30 minutes, that's not too hard... I mean it's not the end of the world if you've got no important data. If you do, back up.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

Guest Graeme43

Thanks guys..

My Mandrake 9.2 is fully working and running :jester:

I couldnt of done it myself :lol: ( can now :lol2: )

:thumbs:

sound, video, internet.. everything works.. just now i need a nice blue theme or one that is easier to see :headbang:

Edited by Graeme43

Hmmm. I just re-installed 9.2 and I'm having a hell of a time getting my drivers to install.

I d/l the source and just double clicked it while logged in as root. But when I log out of X and try to run the driver .run file it says that I have an invalid source header and won't install them. It worked on a previous install just fine. I got the correct source RPM for my kernel. 2.4.22-10. Any ideas why it's not working?

:o not if you installed via terminal. It should show in a terminal. This is SuSE9 but works the same for me in ML9.2

linux:~ # rpm -q kernel-source
kernel-source-2.4.21-144
linux:~ #

Do you have a /usr/src/linux?

linux:~ # ls /usr/src/linux
.        Config.in      README          Rules.modules  drivers  ipc     mm
..       Documentation  README.SuSE     abi            fs       kdb     net
COPYING  MAINTAINERS    REPORTING-BUGS  arch           include  kernel  scripts
CREDITS  Makefile       Rules.make      crypto         init     lib     sound
linux:~ #