Nvidia drivers in Mdk 9.2

Darkelve

Hey,

I just installed Mdk 9.2 a few days ago and loving every bit of it. Only problem I had was installing the nvidia drivers. I used the RPM's I got for 9.1 (from Texstar), this was real easy for me to install.

Yes, I did find the tutorial for installing Mdk from a command line, but it sounds a bit complicated; I don't want to mess up then have to reïnstall everything again. So I was wondering if there really isn't an easier way to install these drivers (like the RPM method I used in 9.1).

Darkelve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I'm referring to the video drivers (for 3D accelleration etc.)

Motherboard information

-----------------------------

Motherboard ID: 01/30/2002-nForce-A7N266-C

Motherboard name: Asus A7N266-C

Motherboard Chipset: nForce415D

Video card information

--------------------------

nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (Asus AGP-V8170) Video card

nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 3D accellerator

Darkelve

Hey Gowator, Illogical

No, I still dual-boot. Getting internet to work will requir some hardware investments I suspect, I'm still checking things out.

I can download the script via my windoze system, no prob, but I'll probably also have to download the instructions. I hope you can still reach the mounted partitions (guess so)? Also, how do I get in a pure text console when booting (I think I read this was recommened). Last thing, how can I be sure I got the right version?

Darkelve

Hey Gowator, Illogical

No, I still dual-boot. Getting internet to work will requir some hardware investments I suspect, I'm still checking things out.

I can download the script via my windoze system, no prob, but I'll probably also have to download the instructions. I hope you can still reach the mounted partitions (guess so)? Also, how do I get in a pure text console when booting (I think I read this was recommened). Last thing, how can I be sure I got the right version?

Darkelve

to get a pure linux console, when you start up and get to the boot screen press [Esc] then type

linux 3

But first

1. download the nvidia script

2. download the kernel source from a mirror

3. paste the directions from HW-01: How to install the nVidia driver into a text file

4. Boot into linux and at the boot screen press [Esc] then type

linux 3

5. log in as root

6. mount windows partition

7. navigate to script and copy it to linux partition

cp /path/to/nvidia_script.sh ./

8. navigate to saved instructins and copy them

cp /path/to/install.txt ./

9. navigate to kernel source rpm and copy it

cp /path/to/kernel-source.rpm ./

10. then

urpmi ke[Tab]

pressing the tab button will complete the filename for you

than press enter and allow urpmi to install the kernel source rpm.

11. just follow the directions from the NVidia faq

I tried to follow the instructions, but I got an error report (log file posted as attachment). I do not know what went wrong: I got the kernel-source RPM from the exact same ftp server where I downloaded the ISO's, the kernel version seems right (I checked and it's 2.4.22-mdk10; or '10mdk' not sure about the order).

I did everything illogic-al advised me to do, but somewhere something went wrong.

Anyway, maybe the log file means something to anybody.

nvidia_installer.txt

I tried to follow the instructions, but I got an error report (log file posted as attachment). I do not know what went wrong: I got the kernel-source RPM from the exact same ftp server where I downloaded the ISO's, the kernel version seems right (I checked and it's 2.4.22-mdk10; or '10mdk' not sure about the order).

I did everything illogic-al advised me to do, but somewhere something went wrong.

Anyway, maybe the log file means something to anybody.

what kernel-source did you install and what kernel are you running. to find out the running kernel type

uname -r

Reporting back!

Gowator, illogic-al, I did it!!

I got the Nvidia drivers installed, it wasn't too bad.

I did not actually download the 'kernel-source...' file, but instead the 'kernel-...' file itself :oops: pretty stupid no? :unsure:

When I got the *right* file, install with urpmi went smooth.

Then I thought I had messed up but it appeared I installed the XF86Config-4 file in the wrong location (under root dir). Anyway I did not have to change a lot, just change the line from 'nv' to 'nvidia', seems ' load: "glx" ' was already in the file.

You will see it worked because the GLXgears program is working. Is the framerate decent? (also, am I officially a 'geek' now ??)

Then I played around a little, got the Flash plugin for Mozilla working, next I installed 'slicker' (there was a RPM on KDE-look). Slicker is in its infancy, but man does it look great. With it I can get rid of at least half of the icons on my desktop and my borders will finally be of any use ;).

Then I went on installing a few Mac OSX-based themes. I like the theme, but when installing they seemed a little too bright, too 'screamy' to me. Well, after some experimenting I came up with my perfect settings! Well I know it is personal taste, but if any of you wonder how I came to it: I got the Aqua-3.1, Aqua-Graphite 3.1 (I think I used that one) and the Aqua_Mac_Beta themes from KDE-look.org.

Window decoration: Aqua_mac

Style: Aqua_graphite (I suspect this one, but I installed all 3, might be a mix)

Afterwards: style 'High Performance Liquid'.

Iconset: Noia KDE

You can take a look at the screenshot I posted. I absolutely love it; it's grey (calm on my eyes), stylish (Mac-ish) and very subtle. I dunno, maybe I'll call it Noia-OSX, or Noia-Mosfet's X or something :P

Gowator, Illocig-al, thanks a lot for all your help. I actually feel glad now I had the 'courage' to do such an 'arcane' :lol: task. But I'm feeling alle the better for it now!

Darkelve

post-9-1069141948.jpg

Edited by Darkelve

Guest Graeme43

Is there anywhere i can get the .run file for the 9.2 kernel as i dont know how to do it myself as it keeps saying i dont have the kernel header files.. and ive just switched to linux.. :jester:

nice screenshot btw :headbang:

Edited by Graeme43

nvidia doesn't have one for 9.2.....heh, 9.2 hasn't even "really" been released yet (for all), or did I miss something?. Do you have the kernel-source installed? I don't recall having to do anything other than download/install the kernel-source then run the nvidia installer.