Before installing or upgrading to 9.2

scoopy

Through no fault of Mandrake, there is an issue with certain LG CD-rom drives. This issue currently affects all public download releases of Mandrake 9.2.

Update Nov, 14th 2003: LG has released some firmware updates to various model numbers (they are noted specifically in the list), and a restoration procedure for previously affected drives. All users are encouraged to upgrade the firmware on their CD-ROM systems prior to installing or upgrading Mandrake Linux 9.2. They also provide a recovery procedure for the damaged drives.

It seems LG's burners are safe from this.

NOTE: Based on information we have received from LG Electronics' technicians, only CD-ROM models are affected by this bug. DVD-ROM/R/RW and CD-RW devices are not affected.

For more info concerning this issue and for status of certain drives, please see Mandrakes special errata page at:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3

To find out the make and model of your CD drive in Mandrake, open up a terminal/konsole and type:

cat /proc/ide/hdx/model

(where hdx corresponds with your device as listed with harddrake)

It is highly recommended to upgrade your drive's firmware prior to installing or upgrading to 9.2.

Hi,

sorry but if you want to download the new iso's you can read

Important note before download: If you own a LG CD-ROM drive, please read this page before downloading Mandrake 9.2: a few LG CD-ROM drives...

I tought they wanted to kick this bug out of the iso's and update them (with the new kernel).

But it don't looks like :wall:

Guest kuchwas
I tought they wanted to kick this bug out of the iso's and update them (with the new kernel).

First, remember the bug is LG, not Mandrake!

The boxed editions for purchase have been updated, as I understand, but not the download editions, even for Club members.

The cost in time and money is too much (especially given Mandrakes current financial status), and now that there is a LG fix for CD-ROMS, it is not really needed.

Apply the LG patch if needed, install the 9.2 version, and then use urpmi to update. You now have the same thing as an updated iso would provide, without costing Mandrake anything extra.

Tim

Edited by kuchwas

Don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard that the updated kernel has disabled packet writing to get by this LG bug. What exactly that does and do I really need it? --- I do not know. But, I do know I have been able to burn things without much problem using the 2.4.22-21 kernel.

If this is true, then maybe it was best for Mandrake to continue with the original 2.4.22-10 kernel (which is the version that was released) ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Too late for me... :(

I apparently have an LG drive and tried to install 9.2 using some CD's I bought online. I attempted an install and found out about this issue after the fact. My CD and DVD drives are not recognized!!!

It seems that there is a fix for this problem, but I don't have a floppy drive!!!

Is there hope to save this CD drive??? (GCR-8481B)

*sniff sniff*

• 1 month later...