Epiphany keeps crashing in 2010.0 [unsolved]

yossarian

Hi all,

After doing a fresh installation of Mandriva 2010.0 (Gnome), I tried loading some sites in Epiphany. Each time the page almost finishes to load, the browser crashes (closed without a warning).

Two examples:

1. go to www.gmail.com and try to login. When the gmail's blue bar is almost full, the browser crashes.

2. go to yahoo.com. The browser crashes before Yahoo's main page is loaded.

If I run epiphany from terminal all I get is the following message:

Illegal instruction

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

Guest Random12

Just for the record, why is this marked [solved]? Simply having the problem identified, doesn't mean it is solved.

I would think solved would mean there's a patch, update, or workaround, or at least an indication that there's a plan and schedule for solving the problem. It does seem that the webkit folks have created a patch upstream. Does anyhow know if Mandriva plans to get it into updates?

I only installed the Gnome desktop. I'm running on a circa 2003 Athlon XP machine. Epiphany crashes and Firefox 3.5.5 continually gives me unresponsive script messages when I try to use gmail. I had to install Opera which is only free as in beer in order to use gmail. I wouldn't think the intersection of Mandriva, Gnome, Athlon XP, and Gmail users is that small that this problem isn't serious.

Regards,

A.

Just for the record and if anyone else is having this problem, you can also check your cpu with

grep sse2 /proc/cpuinfo

to see if the SSE2 flag is listed.

Just for the record, why is this marked [solved]? Simply having the problem identified, doesn't mean it is solved.

First, welcome aboard. :)

I accept your remark. Even though, since it was explicitly mentioned in the Errata, it was my responsibility to read about it before the installation, and surely before I wrote about it here. Since the issue is known to Mandriva and to the community, there is no point in leaving this topic open. The members sometimes review all the topics and search for the unsolved ones, and I didn't see it necessary to waste their time if the issue is known.

Regarding your other questions - unfortunately, I don't know if there is a patch or when it is expected to hit Mandriva's mirrors. I decided to roll back to 2009.0, which is much more stable for me.

In case that there is a known bug but no workaround yet, it is better to mark the topic as "unsolved" as there is no known solution right now. If we mark it as "solved", everybody would expect to find a solution to this bug in here - and would probably be frustrated when they realise that there is no solution inside the thread.

I changed the topic to "unsolved" in order to avoid confusion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Random12

Looks like a solution is in the works. If one downloads and installs updated webkit and libwebkit rpm's (there are several, and one has an out of sequence version number) from the testing repositories, the problem goes away.

Presumably these will make it into updates after someone makes sure they don't introduce new problems.

See https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=55533