Installing Mandriva with both LMV and RAID1

dude67

I'm installing Mandriva 2010.0 and making a clean install. I have two 1.5 TB HDDs and I want to create an LVM system but I also wish to build the drives into a RAID1 array.

In Mandriva installation GUI I can choose to build it RAID or LVM, but can I do both in the origianl installation phase? Or should I build LVM first, leave the second HDD clean and add these two disks later to RAID1?

This will be my network file and print server.

Essentially, you should be doing the raid first, and then the LVM partitions inside the array. You might have to go into advanced partitioning in the Mandy installer to allow you to do this, but I've never tried it so cannot say for sure. I remember someone commented on my raid installation post a while ago that there is the advanced partitioning which allows you to do more.

I can test it easily enough though under VMware if required but I hope the advanced partitioning will help.

OK, thanks. I did try that, but I'm unable to choose both RAID1 and LVM.

For the filesystem type I can choose either Linux RAID or Linux Logical Volume Manager, but not both. So I think I need to do one of them first. I don't seem to be able to do both in the installation phase.

I tried first with LVM as my first choice and again with RAID installation. Neither gave me the option to do both (at least I couldn't find a way).

I'm unsure, normally I'd expect RAID first and then LVM inside of this. I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with. In a few hours I should have Mandriva 2010 downloaded from bittorrent.

OK, this is all possible during installation, and this is what I did:

Mandriva partitioning

Go to custom partitioning

Go to toggle advanced partitioning

I created two partitions on sda and sdb, first of around 200MB and the second using rest of the disk which in my test case was around 10GB and set both of these to Linux Raid. I then add first two partitions to md0 and the other larger two to md1.

Then set the md0 partition as /boot as this cannot be inside an LVM volume.

Then go to raid tab and click type and change to Linux Logical Volume Manager. Then click add to LVM and I set the partition as vg.

Then in vg tab, create partitions that you want. I created lvswap of 1024M and rest of disk to /. And you then have RAID and LVM :)

I did this all in GUI installer, nothing from command line.

Oh, btw I meant to ask: why is it that e.g. in Openfiler's case it was recommended to use xfs instead of ext3 (or now ext4)? And what do you suggest to use with lvm

- edit: ext3 and ext4 names corrected

Edited by dude67

It depends what you want to do. I generally have stuck with ext3 mostly if I want compatibility across distros. Sometimes, when I've installed CentOS or Red Hat I only have an option of ext3 and nothing more, so meant I didn't want to have to reformat my whole system.

xfs is good with very large files, and it's also very quick in creating the filesystem on large partitions, whereas ext3 will take a long time. I find ext4 fast, and I used this under Ubuntu 9.04 when I had it installed and liked it very much.

Tux likes jfs and I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be good too. Reiserfs is OK also and I used to use this up until a while ago also, but stopped when I found CentOS and Red Hat had no support for it unless you use CentOS Plus kernels but even then it's not available for use during installation, so is a reason why I switched to ext3 to save formatting all the time and having to move data around.