3D Desktop

Guest Rockman007

Guest Rockman007

Hi all,

I'm a new linux user and have just installed Mandriva 2009 Spring Edition on my VirtualBox VM. I cant seem to get my desktop to spin. I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me on the exact steps i shuld take to get this 3D spinning effect.

I've downloaded all update packages and when i want to enable the 3D-effects in Computer configuration i'm unable to do so. I know there's something that needs to be done to enable this option but cant figure it out.

Your assistance or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance,

Rockman007 B)

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest Rockman007

Hi all,

I downloaded and installed Nvidia drivers (6100 and later) and compiz-fusion packages. Seeing that the virtualbox graphic card driver might not work i decided to use these. I now get a black screen with the cursor waiting for something to happen after rebooting. Nothing happened 2 hours later and now dont know what to do.

Does anyone have Mandirva installed on a VirtualBox VM? On my VM i have my RAM set to 485mb and cant increase it bcoz my host machine RAM is 1G. i dont know if this might be another problem, but i'm open to any further suggestions.

Thanx

My friend, there is no way to use your physical card in the virtual machine. The videocard is VIRTUAL, period.

Remove the nvidia driver ASAP, and install guest additions. This is the one and ONLY way to have 3D effects in the virtual machine.

1G RAM in the host machine is just about adequate for what you're trying to do.