Bittorent, prioritize downloading the first chunks

boatman9

Thanks to you both for those package names. After some delay to upgrade from 2009.0 to 2010.0 I have installed both Deluge and Vuze.

I see that both Deluge and Vuze have a feature to prioritize first and last pieces of the file, but not sure why anyone would need the last piece of the file before the middle has arrived. I was hoping for a feature that gets the chunks approximately from start to finish.

I am using Vuze now, version 4.2.0.8 fresh from the Mandriva repository. Vuze 4.2.0.8 is suggesting that I update to Vuze 4.3: Less bloat, more speed. Should I update now or wait until 4.3 arrives in Mandriva's repositories?

In the Vuze program, when I click on "Vuze HD Network" there is some undisplayed flash content and it suggests that I download "Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.32.18 Linux" from Adobe's web site. This puzzles me because I already have installed

"flash-player-plugin Version: 10.0.32.18-1plf2010.0" as well as "flashplayer-plugin Version: 10.0.32.18-2mdv2010.0".

Has anyone actually used the bittorrent chunk prioritization feature to begin watching a video minutes after beginning the bittorrent download? It seems like a feature many people would like, but I don't see how it could be done with our current bittorrent programs because "prioritize first and last" means that the middle of the video will arrive last.

Edited by boatman9

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, no idea why flash is not working on the Vuze UI. I always use Azureus/Vuze on advanced mode with the classical UI.

Anyway, I did update to the latest version, but since all the code optimization is for the Vuze UI, I hardly noticed any change... :D

How did you manage to install the latest version?

I tried to install Vuze-4.3.0.* using their .tar package without success. Even in terminal as a user or root gave me nothing.

There doesn't appear to be any rpm for Mandriva on the Net yet.

I think the idea behind "first and last" is that the file gets its allocated space early and doesn't have to be shifted around as it grows. So it reduces copying work and reduces defragmentation.

Most (or maybe all) clients will try to download the first chunks of files, maybe to get the headers intact early. So you might be able to play a few seconds of the file to check that it is what you think it is.

However, the algorithms for efficient use of the network and efficient uploading of your files to others will break down if you try to force which order the chunks get downloaded. So the network won't work as well and both you and others will have to wait longer for the content. I think the best thing to do is go and do something else while the client figures out the best way to download it for you.

Torrenting is not a streaming medium.