Vboxdrv - Not loading after a shutdown + reboot

camorri

I have the following rpm installed.

VirtualBox-3.0.10_54097_mdv2009.1-1.i586.rpm

I installed it using urpmi on the command line. It installs fine, and I can run a XP-home-sp3 installation without problems. After I shutdown, and boot the system up, Vbox will not start the guest system. It reports a 'NS_ERROR_Failure 0x80004005' and RC= -1908. The prompts tell me to run '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'. When I do, it fails to build and insert the vboxdrv module. It reports a 'vboxdrv: No Sybbol version for Struct_module'.

Some system information, I'm running 2009.1. Uname -a reports :

Linux Duelie 2.6.29.6-desktop-2mnb #1 SMP Sun Aug 16 23:23:47 EDT 2009 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ GNU/Linux

I have verified DKMS is installed. I run a 3d desktop, and that will not compiled without DKMS.

I think something is not installed for the current kernel. Bit what?

If I uninstall the VirtualBox rpm and re-install it, all works again until I shutdown and re-boot. I don't leave my system running at night.

I have been to www.virtualbox.org and looked for solutions, but have not found a fix for this.

Your thought would be appreciated.

The kernel packages I have installed...

current-kernel.jpeg

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The attachment.

I also tried as root vbox-build-module, the result...

# vbox -build-module

bash: vbox: command not found

[root@Duelie dev]# vboxdrv -build-module

bash: vboxdrv: command not found

[root@Duelie dev]# vboxdrv-build-module

bash: vboxdrv-build-module: command not found

[root@Duelie dev]# vbox-build -module

bash: vbox-build: command not found

What am I missing here?

Edited by camorri

No, I did not have that one installed, it is now, along with a pre-req....

I ran /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup and voila, the module compiles and loads.

# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Stopping VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]

Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module [ OK ]

Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module [ OK ]

Removing old VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]

Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]

Starting VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]

Thank-you! :)

Part of the problem for me is to know what packages for the kernel have to installed to compile a module. I don't do much of this, and since the introduction of DKMS I now know I need to know more.

The naming of the kernel packages I find confusing at best. I do regular updates, so I wind up with several kernels installed, and many packages that support the various kernels. During this problem I did some house cleaning, and removed some older kernels I was not using. However there are still a two installed with the supporting packages ie Nvidia kernel module etc.

I'm not sure there is an answer for this, but it would help if there was a doc that said, something like :

Basic operation : latest kernel xxxx

For Nvidia : add what ever package...

For compiling add these packages...

Just a thought.

The problem is solved.

Edited by camorri

Part of the problem for me is to know what packages for the kernel have to installed to compile a module. I don't do much of this, and since the introduction of DKMS I now know I need to know more.

The naming of the kernel packages I find confusing at best. I do regular updates, so I wind up with several kernels installed, and many packages that support the various kernels. During this problem I did some house cleaning, and removed some older kernels I was not using. However there are still a two installed with the supporting packages ie Nvidia kernel module etc.

The kernel-*-devel package is what you need to compile external kernel modules

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/Notes#Kernel_changes

The packages named such as nvidia-*-kernel-* are not kernels but pre-compiled binary kernel modules. Packages such as dkms-nvidia-* are installed as a backup. They enable the kernel module to be re-built when the kernel is updated but a new binary module is not available. This has happened in the past, but rarely happens now.

On past releases kernel-*-devel-latest was not installed by default, which rather defeated the point of installing the dkms packages. I think that this has been fixed in 2010.0, and the kernel-*-devel-latest package is installed whenever the kernel-*-devel package is installed.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508