browsers

Kieth

At times I still have the "host" problem. Not always, but maybe every other time.

[root@host-001 ~]# cat /etc/hosts

# generated by drakhosts

127.0.0.1 localhost host-001

[kieth@localhost ~]$ firefox

_IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host localhost.localdomain

_IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host localhost.localdomain

(firefox:3090): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

Could not open network socket.

(firefox:3090): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

(firefox:3090): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

Edited by Kieth

Mine looks like this:

127.0.0.1               esprit localhost.localdomain localhost

esprit being my hostname for the machine, but you can put host-001 or whatever your hostname is. Note, I also have the localhost.localdomain in there too, and I don't have problems with Firefox.

Maybe, reset yours something like:

127.0.0.1     host-001 localhost.localdomain localhost

and see what happens.

The sequennce of the entries in the HOSTS file is not critical, and if you have no domain/ LAN name defined at your router, then the "localhost.localdomain" part does nothing useful.

Anyway, if this is working better for you then defintely keep it. Some DE's like Gnome and XFCE4 definitely need the machine name pinned in the /etc/hosts file to behave properly.

Well, like before, sometimes it's OK and sometimes no.

[root@host-001 ~]# cat /etc/hosts

# generated by drakhosts

127.0.0.1 host-001 localhost.localdomain localhost

[kieth@host-001 ~]$ firefox

(firefox:3588): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

Flash plugin? Nope, after I wrote my last post, I tried to get it working, but to no avail.

Edited by Kieth

Hey, maybe that's the problem!!

I opened dolphin and clicked on kieth. Then I right clicked the mouse and choose permissions. On the top, under "access permissions", the owner can view and modify content. The group can only view content (as well as others). Below, under "ownership", there it shows the owner being kieth and the group being 500 (so you were right speedball2!). Under "access permissions", should I change the group to: Can view and modify; and under "ownership", change the group to kieth? I would also apply the changes to all sub folders.

OK, the other day I ran the command # chown -R kieth:kieth /home/kieth. So far no adverse effects, but firefox continues to complain about not connecting to the local host.

(firefox:1441): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

But seamonkey doesn't have this problem.

[kieth@host-001 ~]$ seamonkey

So I renamed .mozilla and .mozilla2 to . . . -old, and this is what I got in console when I open firefox.

(firefox:1789): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:                                                    

Could not open network socket

I then disinstalled firefox, ran the command update-menus -v as a normal user and as root. After that I reinstalled firefox via urpmi, which also installed 2 dependencies:

Preparing...                     ###########################                                   
     1/3: nspluginwrapper-i386  ###########################                                   
     2/3: firefox               ###########################                                   
     3/3: nspluginwrapper       ###########################  

Opening firefox in console gives me the same results:

(firefox:3094): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

(firefox:3094): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

Any ideas?