browsers

Kieth

Every time I open a browser, I get strange (strange to me!) messages. Any idea how to correct the problem?

Thanks,

Kieth

[kieth@host-001 ~]$ opera

_IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host localhost.localdomain

_IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host localhost.localdomain

Session management error: Could not open network socket

Session management error: Could not open network socket

[kieth@host-001 ~]$ firefox

(firefox:13540): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

Could not open network socket.

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/real/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so [/opt/real/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so [/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/kieth/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so [/home/kieth/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

[kieth@host-001 ~]$ galeon

(galeon:13651): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

** (galeon:13651): WARNING **: Spinner rest icon not found

** (galeon:13651): WARNING **: Spinner rest icon not found

(galeon:13651): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXt.so [libXt.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXext.so [libXext.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/kieth/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so [/home/kieth/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/real/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so [/opt/real/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

(galeon:13651): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Edited by Kieth

Could this problem have something to do with my internet connection?

I found this definition on the internet:

local domain

When you attach your LAN to the Internet, it gets your ISP’s domain name. It becomes effectively part of your ISP’s domain. So for example, all Shaw Cable customers in Victoria become part of the gv.shawcable.net domain. That name is referred to as your local domain name. Shaw lets you use the short name shawnews instead of shawnews.gv.shawcable.net and shawmail instead of shawmail.gv.shawcable.net if you configure Windows or your router to prepend gv.shawcable.net in DNS lookup, if it can’t find a name.

OK Ken, I edited the file but it didn't resolve the problem:

# cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

With firefox, I still get the same results in console:

$ firefox

(firefox:4307): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

Yep David, that was it. :)

$ firefox

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXt.so [libXt.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXext.so [libXext.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

I checked in MCC, and I was listed as 500 and guest as 10000. Firefox still has some problems, but any idea on how to change my user ID? I didn't find a way in MCC.

Is your problem addressed here Kieth?

Check out the Errata for information on known problems with Mandriva Linux 2010.0 and, where available, how to fix, avoid or work around them.[updated 14 November 2009]

In particular

Edited by SilverSurfer60

Yeh Silversurfer60, that deals with the problem, as David mentioned before. I immediately went to the errata page, but it doesn't mention how to resolve the problem once an install is made. I was able to get the user UID changed, but not the gid or groups. From all I've read, I'm suppose to change them, too. When I open up firefox in console, this is the message:

id: cannot find name for group ID 500

[kieth@host-001 ~]$

Here's the info:

# groupmod -g 10001 kieth

[root@host-001 ~]# id kieth

uid=10001(kieth) gid=500 groups=500

[root@host-001 ~]#

How can I change the gid and groups?

To change your group ID's you need to edit /etc/groups (as root of course). You will see the layout of the file when you open it. You just need to change your group and xguest group if you want to keep it. Save the file and go into mcc > system > users and make sure you are in the kieth group, and that it is your primary group. All should be well then. I have just done mine, as it didn't show up because I did a clean install.

Got it! Thanks.

[root@host-001 ~]# id kieth

uid=10001(kieth) gid=10001(kieth) groups=10001(kieth)

In fact, firefox doesn't complain anymore about the localhost:

[kieth@host-001 ~]$ firefox

Firefox has other problems, but now I can start working on those.

Thanks again,

Kieth