Download MDK 9.2 ISO's Via BitTorrent

manly

Hi,

It looks like the 9.2 ISO's are availible to download via the FTP mirrors listed on the mandrake website. I can't seem to find a bittorrent to use instead (i'd like to reduce the load on the ftp servers, and I can seed pretty nicely with my connection). Does anyone know where I can find a torrent? Thanks!

--Andrew

This is where I got it

MOttS

Links removed by anon.

The policy of this board is not to show links to 9.2 (bittorrent or otherwise) util the official public release.

Just to be clear --- Those torrents on suprnova are for the 9.2 edition that was released to clubmembers last month and has caused the problems with the LG drives. Since then, Mandrake has stopped the presses on this issue and have been working to build a new 9.2 release with a "fixed" kernel. There is also about 300 megs of updates that have been issued since, but it is unclear as to how much of these will make it into the "9.2.1" release.

I just checked the official public mirrors, and they still have version 9.1 available to download, along with 9.2 rc, and all the current 9.2 final binaries... but no 9.2.1 release.

The Mandrake web site is confusing me. I'm not a member of the club, but I can still get the list of mirrors for 9.2. Yet 9.2 has not been officially released?

So now I have both 9.1 and 9.2 avalible to use. I'm going to be doing the install on a friend's machine who's never used linux before (but she uses OO.org and Mozilla). Assuming that she doesn't have an LG drive, is there any reason to not install 9.2? Getting the updates is not an issue in terms of bandwidth.

Thanks!

--Andrew

Personally, I would install 9.1. I have not been happy with 9.2, even with updates, but that has just been my experience. Others have been fine with 9.2. I am waiting for the revised public release of 9.2. ;)

Assuming that she doesn't have an LG drive, is there any reason to not install 9.2?

I really like 98 percent of my fresh 9.2 "torrent" release. I did have a LG drive, but apparently was not one of those affected.

Just be sure to make a quick desktop shortcut to konsole or terminal, cause it will dissappear from the menu before installing the fix. There are a few other minor issues, but easily fixed.

After the initial install and running the updates, my only problem I have with it now is some issue with my USB card reader (which I give up on now and will be posting a thread soon).

ISO downloads are showing up at the mirror sites. When you click on the mirror from the Mandrake download page you will still be getting the raw tree. Go up two directories, I think, and go into the iso folder. Make sure that the iso2 and iso3 are over 700 mb and also check the files with md5sums.

ISO downloads are showing up at the mirror sites.  When you click on the mirror from the Mandrake download page you will still be getting the raw tree.  Go up two directories, I think, and go into the iso folder.  Make sure that the iso2 and iso3 are over 700 mb and also check the files with md5sums.

But these are the old buggy ones which will destroy your cdrom drive.

They are the same as the clubmember bittorrent downloads, and will only destroy your drive if you have an LG drive with a bad firmware.

BTW check the date on the ftp servers.

I guess either Mandrake was going to lose quite a bit of money (printing cd's doesn't come cheap) or they were going to piss off customers (buy a pack and get some old stuff, downloaders get for free a better release...) or they just tell everyone they should upgrade their LG cdrom firmware and that's that.

I'm not sure, but I think they had to think of their buying paying customers first... It's okay with me, 9.2 is great (after fixing initial problems); I haven't installed any update yet, all works fine.