9.2 Installation on Compaq Presario 2500

Steve Scrimpshire

From a quick Google search when I ran into trouble installing on this laptop, I discovered this tip.

Problem: Early in the installation procedure, the Texas Instruments Firewire Controller is detected and the install program attempts to load the driver for it, at which time the computer locks up.

Solution: At the beginning of the install, hit F1 for more options and type:

linux noauto nofirewire

(I'm not sure if the nofirewire is really even an acceptable option, but that's what this one person tried and it definitely doesn't hurt anything.) I think it is just the 'noauto' that actually solves the problem.

I had to install WinXP on this machine for troubleshooting something else and tried to boot rescue mode to reinstall lilo, wherupon I discovered that the firewire once again causes a hang...it doesn't freeze the system, but the hard drive stops spinning and nothing happens after it attempts to load the driver, so I had to do this:

Reinstalling lilo later if needed: Insert the 1st installation disk, hit F1 and type

expert noauto nofirewire

and choose Upgrade and then just don't select any packages and just pretend to do an upgrade and let it go through to the end where it will reinstall lilo.