OfficeXP in linux??

VeeDubb

First, according to Codeweavers Office XP isn't supported with Crossover Office

Actually, when they released version 2.0 they specifically stated that Word, Excel, and Powerpoint XP was indeed supported. (granted they're still at the silver level, but Codeweavers specifically supports them) The page you linked to says right there that Crossover Office supports Word, Excel, and Power Point XP.

Third, if your main goal is to use MS-Office, just stick with Windows. It doesn't make much sense to install Linux to use MS apps designed to run under Windows. In the same way as it will not make any sense to install Windows because you want to run UNIX or Mac applications... Simply put, if you want to use Linux, you're much better to start using OO or any other software that works natively under Linux.

To an extent, I agree with that. However, I hear a lot of people on various message boards that say that they would switch to Linux completely if they could get one or two Windows applications that they like to run running under Linux. Why should that one application keep them from using Linux as their main OS?

Actually, when they released version 2.0 they specifically stated that Word, Excel, and Powerpoint XP was indeed supported.  (granted they're still at the silver level, but Codeweavers specifically supports them)

Don't forget that with Crossover, silver level means "buggy, unstable, but we're working on it".

To an extent, I agree with that.  However, I hear a lot of people on various message boards that say that they would switch to Linux completely if they could get one or two Windows applications that they like to run running under Linux.  Why should that one application keep them from using Linux as their main OS?

It's certainly a question of philosophy that can be debated for hours... I will only point out that, on this level, two situations are possible:

1) Your application have a viable alternative in Linux.

2) Your application doesn't have anything that can do the job in Linux (many professionals or specialized applications can fit the bill here).

For this thread, we're clearly in case #1. There are excellent and viable alternatives to MS-Office under Linux. If someone choose to use Windows applications when there's an alternative under Linux, it's probably because this person isn't ready to make the jump and is thus best to stick with Windows.

Case #2 is different. But then, a dual boot system is probably the best way to go since it may to be hard to make these particular applications works under an emulator.

But, thinking of it, if the GF already have Windows and MS-Office on her computer, why not just simply install Linux as a dual boot ? That way, she can work with MS-Office if she wants to, try Linux when she wants to, create document with OO and check them in Windows, see if the MS-Office documents import well in OO, etc... In short you will give her the best of both world, without the trouble of installing/configuring an emulator!!!

:cheesy:

For this thread, we're clearly in case #1. There are excellent and viable alternatives to MS-Office under Linux.

I think you have missed the point. The point is that she is tired of all the crashes and instability of the OS with windows. She's tired of saving something to a floppy and finding that windows didn't actualy save it because it stuck the file in a holding pattern untill system resources were more available and she ended up loosing her work. In every way but one, she is tired of windows and wants to try linux.

and as for there being a good linux alternative, i don't know how you couldsay that there is one if you actualy read this whole thread. Clearly, while there are many wonderful office apps for linux, not one of them offers 100% compatability wth MS office formats If those 3 apps were usable under linux, she could switch.

also for the record, they work beautifully under crossover (demo version) I'm downlaoding Winex3.2 right now and I'm hoping that will work, though, I doubt it seriously

As far as I know, even different version of microsoft office software is not 100% compatible with each other. I have many documents that open nicely under Office 2k and OpenOffice but looks like trash when opened under Office XP. For perfect formatting and things like that, it should use a true desktop publishing software like illustrator, indesign, or acrobat. Even then the formatting will get screwed if the software doesn't find the required fonts.

Anyway, Crossover is not that expensive if you really need to use it. Some say that 60 dollars is worth the peace of mind. Of course.. 60 dollars is way too expensive for me, but if I am still living in the States like I used to, I think I can afford it if I save enough money by not buying coke for a week or so :)

• 4 months later...
As far as I know, even different version of microsoft office software is not 100% compatible with each other.

My thoughts exactly.

I look at it as " Is MS Office compatible with OOo? "

"is the glass half full or half empty"

I use OOo at home and at work. Only at uni am i stuck with using MS Office. Therefore i wouldnt do much of my office based work at uni; start it but get the bulk of it and ready for printing at home or at work.

Having said that i have never had any kind of document made in M$ office open incorrently in OOo.

In my experience, OOo is the front runner for office apps with its PDF exporting. cross platform useage etc and M$ office is a second alternative application.

my 2c :)

:headbang:  :oops: wut is THIS???? :wall: its like mixing...bbq sauce and cereal...

OUT

I'm sorry what? That translates into English as what? :)

Like ice-cream on pizza. Both are nice but together they just dont work....

My 2c is the same as DaveQB's. I use Office XP at school for my work that I have to do when Im there, otherwise Ill just do most of it at home in OOo. If youre worried about non-OOo users viewing the document and losing format. Just export to pdf, they are pretty :D and everyone has acrobat!

I know this probably wont help with your girlfriend's dilemma but......

/me shrugs

As far as I know, even different version of microsoft office software is not 100% compatible with each other.

I have a good anecdote on that. In the office most people are using MS Office. Stubborn me is using 90% of the time OOo, and (when formatting is really important and complicated) when compatibility is not 100% I use the preïnstalled M$ Office. At a certain point in time a colleague of mine was not able to open a document from another colleague. He asked me if I could, and whaddoyeknow, no probs (with OOo because that is my machines default). I tried with my version of M$ Office: no can do. I opened it again in OOo saved from there again in M$ Office format, and neither myself nor my colleague had any problems with it anymore.

I just informed with him. He installed OOo since, and needed to use it already several times to help him to be able to open docs. He's needed it already for Word, Excell and PPT.

For me the compatibility from OOo with Excell is 99,9%, with Word 98% and with PPT only 90%. Of course OOo has the big advantage that it is multi-platform, and that it is easy to ask others to just download it and install it as well in case they have a problem with compatibility. Say that you use M$ Office, it is way more difficult to request an OOo user to BUY M$ Office and install it. Good argument for governments to start using OOo.

But of course these reflections are not of any practical help in this case.

Ciao,

Sitor

Edited by sitor

• 2 weeks later...

Got another anecdote:

got a friend who wanted to learn some more about linux, since he was looking for a job and they said (research institute here in Switzerland): do you have anything against working with linux, we only have linux systems..

He replied: no problem, I have never even seen linux... :)

In the end he accepted a job elsewhere, but in the meantime did ask me to help him get started with linux.

His comments: wow, you really get a lot of software with this thing!

Told me he checked out OOo, really really liked it, couldn't believe it is free software.

Then I said, yes, but it doesn't have good compatibility with MSOffice...

He said it was fine, at least as good as MSO compatibility with MSO on MAC, he opened a couple of his Mac files (loads of Macs here in Switzerland, really popular, about 10% of the market), and was really pleased with things....

Back on topic, so I guess MSO2k is the one to try, if your GF can use that one...

On a side note, if anyone has any tips on getting MSOffice2k to run if you have a windows installation but not the install cd....?

Or do I really need the installation disc??