Hey y'all, came back to try 2010

cage47

Well hey guys haven't been here in a while. I migrated back to Debian after Driva 2006. I have kept a copy of driva 1 2008 as a test and emergency and show-off live cd. I've been hearing a lot about KDE 4.3 being stable now and nice so I wanted to give 2010 a look. I downloaded the live cd. Good download. MD5 sums are good and burned it twice to cd. Both get the same result. Just after setting up numlock it comes to gl_conf setup. It hangs there. I can sometimes ctrl-c past it if I hit it immediately. And sometimes it will log in. If I do nothing it simply sits at that point and hangs so hard I have to push the reset button. I tried this on two systems. one had an older ATI card. One had an nvidia tnt2 card. Both same results. Sorry guys. Can't say I'll be coming back for now. Getting Debian testing setup now.

• 1 month later...

OK OK, I have to capitulate to the penguin gods. I had a bad burn. Turns out the cd I was using was bad. I reburned and got the system up. I've got it test installed on a backup system. I have to admit that Mandriva is the only system I have KDe4 up on that works with any success. My old reliable Debian is piss poor. I know Squeeze is still in early testing but There are too many holes that need to be filled. And there are many programs that I rely on that just aren't included anymore. And Don't get me started with Kubuntu. I never liked the whole SUDO issue. I prefer a good root install. Especially with how finicky KDE4 is. But Mandriva 2010 is at least moderately usable. The biggest issue is that Mandriva is the ONLY distro I've seen with a working printer setup gui. And Debian won't even load on my old rage128 card. (my radeon crapped out 3 months ago). So I gotta say KDE4 in Mandriva is looking the most promising so far. I'm gonna do some more lurking here and see how others installs are going. if this is the future of Linux Debian is going to have to do some major fixes to keep me in the fold.

Edited by cage47

OK guys I'm back in the fold. Debian testing was just too bunked up. There were too many holes and internet performance was poor. A big deal breaker for me. Even the live cd. So I'm back. But it's been a while so be patient with me. I'm figuring a bit out on my own. But got a basic question. I test installed with the 2010 live cd. This went fine. but I installed on the main box with the 2010 free dvd. (I downloaded and burned) So I'm trying to set up my urmpi repositories. As a background. I left Mandriva at the just after 2005le. So I never really got into urpmi. I tried using the easy urpmi links above and even the cli command listed on that page. I can get plf repositories loaded but not the main repositories. An example I'm trying to load Kaffeine from PLF but it's hitting unmet dependencies from the main repository which I can't load. It keeps saying

mirrorlist not found

Could not find a mirror for mirrorlist $MIRRORLIST

I don't have the firewall enabled because i'm behind a router. Could this be the issue. Or should I just reinstall with the 2010 live cd. I remember way back that the live cd was the best way to install because of something like this. Is this still the case.

But if so that brings me to a second issue I WILL hit. If I want to also install on a second computer that is not internet enabled (kid's box across the house) How can I make the install save the downloaded packages so I can burn them to a cd and take them into the kids room for an install? This is one thing that kept me in Debian with old apt-move. created a local mirror on my machine I could burn and use as install media. Trying to set something up like that. But first need to fix the issue with the repositories.

Thanks Dude. I'll look into that for acrobat. But as far as the second link. I did that before. Yeah it worked. But it doesn't solve my question. I want to be able to install it on a system without internet connection. basically I want to be able to install it on my main box and then take my downloaded stuff over to the kids box. I can install from the dvd but it is missing a few things. I can get them from online (Like Kaffeine) but need a way to get it to their box.

Gonna go now and reinstall from live. BBL

That's what I thought. but I'm already in the process of installing so I'll have to do it next install.

For now I'm working on a couple other issues. First I'm having a bugger of a time getting my sound settings to save on logout. Everytime I log in my settings revert to default which is very LOUD! Can't seem to get them to save.

Also I'm working around the rpmdrake glitch. You can install once but then if you try again it complains about missing packages if you don't restart rpmdrake. Very annoying. But I'm working around this one.