MDK9.2 fonts too small

Sal

I'm running 9.2 at 800-600 res. My out of the box fonts in 9.1 were beautiful and sized correctly in almost all apps. In 9.2 all the fonts were really tiny, I bumped up the font size for KDE in the Look&Feel but all the Mandrake stuff (MCC, Login Windows, etc) still have the very small font size. Anyone know how to set the default font size that 9.2 uses? Thanks, Sal

I don't know if you mind playing with xfree86config files, but you could try to indicate display resolution in dpi; there is a way to specify this; on my xfconfig it looks like this:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Nokia"

ModelName "Nokia 445Xav"

HorizSync 30.0-102.0

VertRefresh 50.0-120.0

#added RT:

DisplaySize 403 302

where the last line makes quite the difference in the font size on the screen. Naturally, you don't want to put the same values; you can check the dpi setting by checking the logfile:

/var/log/XFree86.0.log

and looking for the string DPI; in my case this gives:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1600 x 1200

(**) NVIDIA(0): Display dimensions: (403, 302) mm

(**) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (100, 100)

So there the DPI resolution of the 1600x1200 403x302 mm screen is 100.

The 403,302 mm values are taken from my config file, if I take that out, it will try to get data from the monitor and set things to 75 dpi or so if it can't, which in my case leads to very small fonts (it would think that 75 dots would already be an inch, whereas that would really only be 3/4ths of an inch, and thus it would choose a font size that actually gets displayed much smaller than it should).

So check your logfile, and change the values (make them larger) in the configfile, which is at:

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

BTW you need to be root to read and write these files.

After changing the config file, you can test by starting a second X server (in case you don't know how, there's plenty of info in the FAQ part or on my site, howto's page), or just logout and select 'reset X-server' (or whatever comes closest).

If I would want larger fonts, I'd