Font Troubles after 2010 upgrade

rldev

My fonts look terrible after 2010 update. I have no problem with my laptop that updated last night, but my desktop looks terrible, no matter what I change. I have the same exact settings on both my laptop(looks great) and desktop. The resolution for my monitor is set correctly (1920 x 1080 24 inch screen). I'm not sure what else I can try. Any ideas besides reinstalling? Thanks.

[moved from Software by Greg2]

Check on both machines, and see what font packages you might have installed, for example:

rpm -qa | grep -i font
rpm -qa | grep -i ttf

and compare the results of the both commands. If anything missing from the desktop that appears on the laptop, install the respective package, restart X and then see how things look.

The main problem I still see is coloration around letters like "a". I do not see this on my laptop(which 3 years old).

Sounds like a different setting for hinting (sub-pixel addressing, i.e. switching on/off the individual RGB pixels to get higher resolution and better approximate round shapes like o, a, e etc. I can tweak this in my desktop settings (using Xfce), but no doubt Gnome & KDE will have ways of tweaking this.

I would also suggest checking what libfreetype package you have installed with

rpm -qa | grep libfreetype

if it's a plf rpm, you may want to replace it with the mdv rpm. The plf package (rpm) has bytecode interpreter and subpixel hinting enabled. So unless you know how to set up your subpixel rendering properly, you may want to use the mdv rpm and the default font system settings.