live cd freezes at splash

Guest flukee

i just downloaded the 2010 live cd and used unetbootin to make a live usb. but when i rebooted the computer mandriva loads but freezes on the loading screen(the one with that flour thingy on the right side of the screen with that circular loading bar at the bottom)can someone please help me out, i need to get me a new distro that isn't Ubuntu because the new release of that no-longer works either!

There is a problem at the moment with usb devices with 2010.0 not being detected. Once the system is up and running there is a work around for the problem, however if you are booting from a usb device this may be the reason for the boot sequence not completing.

Welcome to the board.

Edited by SilverSurfer60

so what should i do...i am currently running vista but want to get mandriva. i want to install it with usb because i dont have any spare cds lying around..

Edited by flukee

Hi there,

Which graphic device do you have? Apparently kernel 2.6.31.1 has problems running X on Intel chips. That can also explain why you had problems with other distros, assuming they are also running same kernel version. Please see the bug report I submitted:

https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=54576

If you also have Intel graphic chip and encountering similar problem, you can add a comment on the bug page, so Mandriva will put the heat on Intel drivers development team.

EDIT - P.S:

At the moment I don't see a way to fix this problem. You may try installing 2009.1 and wait for the fix before you upgrade to 2010.0. If someone thinks I'm wrong and has an idea how to cope with the problem, I'll be glad to hear and try it.

@ yossarian@ i am using a nvidia graphix card bythe way..and how long will it be untill this is fixed, because i recall that the last version of mandriva also did not work for me. and also the mandriva seed doesnt seem to work for me....can i just add that i also posted a similar problem with ubuntu on their forum and still have not recieved any help..so keep up the good work guys! because you guys got back to may so much faster! :thumbs:

Edited by flukee