mandriva-linux-free-2010.0-x86_64.torrent

mandriva-linux-free-dual-2010.torrent

mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-GNOME-africa-asia-cdrom-i586.torrent

mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-GNOME-europe-americas-cdrom-i586.torrent

mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-KDE4-africa-india-cdrom-i586.torrent

mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-KDE4-asia-noindia-cdrom-i586.torrent

mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-KDE4-europe1-americas-cdrom-i586.torrent

mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-KDE4-europe2-cdrom-i586.torrent

I have a Lenovo T61P with and Intel Core2Duo T7500. My current version of Mandriva only shows 3 of my 4 gigs of ram.

I therefore assume it is 32 bit. If I download the mandriva-linux-one-2010.0-GNOME-europe-americas-cdrom-i586.torrent,

will this i586 version give me 64 bit? The only option above I see that has 64 is the free version.

Thank you for your help.

@ SilverSurfer60, Do you know if there are still issues with certain functions with the 64 bit versions of Linux, or are we past that?

Used 64-bit since 2009.0, no issues whatsoever.

To have the full 4GB utilized in 32-bit OS, you must do two things:

1. Enable PAE in system BIOS

2. Install and use a himem-enabled 32-bit kernel. I believe the current name of that kernel in Mandriva is kernel-server.

In any case, enabling PAE in the BIOS invariably leads to performance loss- I can safely bet that your system will perform better with a normal kernel, no PAE and just 3 GB RAM used. In any case, regular 32- bit procedures cannot use more than 2GB of RAM.

I would like to go to the x86-64 system. What would be the best way to do it?

As Ken has already noted, you can use the mandriva-linux-free-dual-2010.iso. It will automatically detect your 64-bit cpu and install a 64-bit system for you. Alternatively, you could d/l the 4.3GB mandriva-linux-free-2010.0-x86_64.iso and install with that.

I read about using the Free disk, but I wanted to be sure and get all the drivers, which they say they do not offer on that disk. This is the first install that has properly detected my video card, and I would hate to mess that up if I could avoid it.

Kieth

Kieth - All you need to do after you have installed the system is enable the:

Main

Main Updates

Contrib

Contrib Updates

Non-free

Non-free Updates

then (using easyurpmi) add the:

PLF Free

PLF Non-free

repos to your sources. Then you will have everything you need available to install.

Greg, I realize I need to add those repos. But for me to change from the 586 to the x86-64, can I just choose the x86-64 architecture from EasyUPPMI, the add the repos, then update my system through MCC?

I of course can download the Free cd, and go that way, then go through EasyURPMI, if that wouldn't mess up my system.

Edited by Kieth

I didn't realize that you wanted to upgrade your existing 32-bit system to 64-bit. I would not recommend trying to do that using any method, it would most likely turn your system into a disaster. :unsure:

If you want to try 64-bit, I would suggest (IMHO) using a clean install.

Greg, I realize I need to add those repos. But for me to change from the 586 to the x86-64, can I just choose the x86-64 architecture from EasyUPPMI, the add the repos, then update my system through MCC?

I of course can download the Free cd, and go that way, then go through EasyURPMI, if that wouldn't mess up my system.

I've heard of successes and failures using that method.

You'll have to use urpmi at the command line not MCC though as MCC only uses the updates repositories for updates.

urpmi --auto-update

Bear in mind that you will be downloading thousands of packages and if something goes wrong part way through like a power failure the install will probably be broken requiring a re-install.

Ken

Yeh, I knew I didn't explain myself well enough when I didn't get the answer I was looking for. :) A clean install using what method - the Free cd? If I do that, would I then get any propriety drivers I need through the repos? Since this is the first time that Mandriva has detected my video card correctly, hopefully the Free disk can do the same!