Monitor goes black in Mandrake 9.2

rfaulk69906

Hi,

I had this same exact problem with 9.1. If I leave my computer for even a minute without doing anything the monitor goes black. There is nothing I can do to get it back. I end up having to turn the power strip off the computer is plugged into and then doing a reboot. In 9.1 this problem was fixed by installing the ACPI and ACPID packages and setting them to run when everything booted up. I also had to edit my lilo.conf file so that ACPI was turned on. I tried doing this in 9.2 and it does not work. I tried updating the kernel and that did not help either. Neither did installing all of the updates for 9.2.

Hi,

I went into the KDE control center and disabled the screen saver. I also went into power control and turned off enable display power management. Here are the options I have (and their current settings) under Power in my Bios. Enable ACPI is set to yes. Auto Suspend Timeout is off. Resume on modem ring is off. Remote power on LAN is disabled. Power button function is set to sleep/wake. I have tried turning ACPI off. When I did this I also changed my lilo.conf file accordingly. When this did not work I went back into the Bios and turned ACPI back on. I then adjusted the lilo.conf file again. Neither of these worked. I also changed the Power button function in the Bios to on/off, but that had no effect either.

I am going out of town with my job for several days. So it will be Wednesday or Thursday before I can try anything else. I will still be able to check and see if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks in advance. I'm also going to post my lilo.conf file to see if that helps.

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=on resume=/dev/hda6"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=on resume=/dev/hda6 failsafe"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-21mdk

label=2422-21

root=/dev/hda5

read-only

optional

append=" devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=on resume=/dev/hda6"

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-21mdk.img

Thanks,

Ron

you mentioned kde above, so, if it works, then make a file called (whatever.sh) apm.sh and put

xset s off s noblank dpms 0 0 0

or whatever you come up with in it. Then put it in

~/.kde/Autostart

so the full path to it is

~/.kde/Autostart/apm.sh

Now, when you login to kde it'll be set.

If I leave my computer for even a minute without doing anything the monitor goes black.

Mine has a tendency to go freeze during the initial boot, whilst all the services get started and the (OK)'s get printed down the right hand side.

The only thing I can do when this happens is remove power from the PC.

Not been able to pinpoint exactly when it does it yet. I'll post more when I do :sad: