Install from HD / WinXP

Guest jetgraphics

Guest jetgraphics

Newbie to Mandriva 2009. Tried to install from hard drive, under Win XP. Had a successful install, using GRUB4DOS, etc.

However, when it comes time to install / upgrade software, an error crops up - the system cannot find the ISO image.

It suggests that I "update" urpmi.

HOW?

WHERE?

WHAT?

I can't find anything that makes a lick of sense.

:wall:

Email me

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Hi welcome onboard

First open Konsole (assuming you are using KDE-desktop) You find it in Menu-> Tools

In Gnome desktop you use Terminale

Type su hit enter

Type your password as promed, you will not be able to see the cursor moving, hit enter

type this

urpmi.removemedia -a

hit enter

after this type exit and hit enter

Go to Easyurpmi follow the screen, and in a few minutes you will be able to install software, and keep your system updated.

You will be able to find answers to a big deal of your questions on Mandriva Wiki

Edited by orts

Guest jetgraphics

urpmi.removemedia -a

hit enter

after this type exit and hit enter

Go to Easyurpmi follow the screen, and in a few minutes you will be able to install software, and keep your system updated.

You will be able to find answers to a big deal of your questions on Mandriva Wiki

Thank you for the reply.

However, I want to be able to access the ISO image with urpmi.

If you've successfully installed the distro, the ISO is no longer required. You can use Easy Urpmi to assign repositories, which you use for updates and extra software.

Since 2009, you can also set up repositories within the Mandriva Control Centre. You will find documentation online here - try the Mandriva tools guide.

To access the MCC from the main menu, use Tools - System Tools - Configure your Computer, entering your root password when prompted. The Software Media Manager should help you to set up the necessary sources.

Guest jetgraphics

Thank you, too.

I am in the process of using Easyurpmi. (Slow-w-w-w-w download process)

My earlier question was so that I could access the ISO for quickly loading man and doc files. When I tried to use SAMBA and connect with WinXP partitions, it refused to install, unable to find the DVD ISO.

Hopefully Easyurpmi will resolve the problem.