Ubuntu 9.10 released

Greg2

This “cloud†offering is simply data storage, isn't it?

As for the “One†cloud, I really wonder if the name was especially chosen to clouden :P the Mandriva One name, sort of override it (as we say in programmation); after all, Mandriva is (IMHO) Ubuntu's most serious concurrent for a general-purpose easy-to-use distribution.

Apart from that, I found interesting to discover the future deprecation of HAL. It seemed new and nice to me (I'm often grateful for the availability of “lshalâ€), and yet, it's soon deprecated… For the better, I hope.

Yves.

I assume it still comes with that POS (excuse my choice of words but yes, IMHO piece of sh1t is the only matching term for it... ) Pulseaudio installed by default... :wall:

I just helped a couple of Linux newbies getting Mandriva 2009.1 installed, they really liked it apart from the trouble to get sound working (which was only resolved by disabling Pulseaudio and then removing all pulseaudio plugins).

I have yet to experience a Linux install where Pulseaudio works fine out of the box, yes I know some people are lucky and it works for them, but that seem to be exceptions...

<paranoid mode on>

Sometimes I get the impression Pulseaudio could be a virus planted by M$ to make Linux less newbie friendly

<paranoid mode off>

Edited by tux99

Well, on can't have all at once.

Pulseaudio has great extensibility, but one ends up with no sound, sooner or later... :P

Alsa is certainly more solid, but it's API is extremely poor, and the sound quality isn't great, either.

OSSv.4 offers brilliant sound, but doesn't support MIDI, and also has severe issues on laptops (with suspend/resume).

All that said, I don't like PulseAudio at all, either.

Pulseaudio has great extensibility, but one ends up with no sound, sooner or later... :P

Alsa is certainly more solid, but it's API is extremely poor, and the sound quality isn't great, either.

Pulseaudio is just a (useless) layer on top of Alsa, it still uses Alsa as sound drivers. Why are you saying Alsa sound quality isn't great?

It's as great as your sound card or on-board chip will allow, there is certainly no quality issue with Alsa sound!

There are several libraries that avoid having to inteface directly with the Alsa API when writing software, there is no need for a crappy sound server like Pulseaudio just because Alsa has a complex API. In fact all apps, I have tried work fine without Pulseaudio so they are all capable of speaking to Alsa directly.

I have yet to experience a Linux install where Pulseaudio works fine out of the box, yes I know some people are lucky and it works for them, but that seem to be exceptions...

I must be an exception, Pulseaudio worked fine for me on 9.04 and is working fine for me on 9.10

<paranoid mode on>

Sometimes I get the impression Pulseaudio could be a virus planted by M$ to make Linux less newbie friendly

<paranoid mode off>

I dunno, the lead developer is employed by Red Hat.

I'm assuming it's working fine for me on Ubuntu 9.04 since I've been using it since it was released, and I have sound :)

I didn't upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 as they currently have a problem in the kernel with ext4 and large files (>= 512MB), so I'm waiting for now.

Normally I just upgrade, I don't know why this time I read the release notes first :)

I'm ext4 on all partitions, and so I figured I didn't want any problems with the ISO images I downloaded.