keyboard combinations for degree symbols, etc. ?

chris z

is there a way to make various symbols (like a degree sign, cents sign, accents over letters, etc.) using keyboard combinations in Linux? like (for example), in Window$, if you hold down the alt button & type 176 you can make a degree symbol. also, Window$ has the character map that shows you all the keyboard combos for symbols & funky letters, or you can just copy & paste from it. using MDK9.1 & KDE, if that matters. i'll continue poking around whilst waiting for a reply.......

thanks,

Chris

Edited by chris z

Maybe this could help...

GNOME Character Map 2.2.0.3

part of gnome-utils

Version: 2.2.0.3-1mdk (mdk9.1)

Description:

Select, copy and paste characters from your font into other applications

The Character Map application enables you to select characters from a character table, then combine the characters into a text string with standard characters. You can insert the text string that you create into applications such as text editor documents. Character Map works primarily with the ISO-8859-1 Latin 1 character set. The application also provides options to work with some non-Latin character sets, such as Cryllic. The application provides accented characters, mathematical symbols, special symbols, and punctuation marks. Many of the characters are not available on a standard keyboard.

As James suggests, you can use the character map, which in KDE and Gnome you can find under Applications/Text Tools.

You can also use the <alt gr> keys for some characters. I can't remember where I found the information, but on my UK keyboard, I can use the following (amongst others) -

Diaeresis (umlaut)

ä/Ä <alt gr>[ a/A

ö/Ö <alt gr>[ o/O

ü/Ü <alt gr>[ u/U

Acute

á/Á <alt gr>; a/A

é/É <alt gr>; e/E

ú/Ú <alt gr>; u/U

Circumflex

â/Â <alt gr>' a/A

ê/Ê <alt gr>' e/E

Grave

à/À <alt gr># a/A

è/È <alt gr>' e/E

Cedilla

ç/Ç <alt gr>; c/C

Double s

ß <alt gr>s

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by spinynorman

thanks guys....

since i posted that, i woke up a bit more & found the charachter map in KDE. (if i'd just open my eyes sometimes.......... :unsure: )

Chris