Joystick or controller ? recommendations

83mercedes

Please tell me what sort of a joystick or other device could I use when playing the games like Quake3, UT2003, Half-Life, RTCW?

I can use the keyboard and mouse, but is there a better way?

I can't find any such devices listed on the Hardware Compatibility List for Mandrake9.

Thanks in advance.

I thought the best way to play 1st person perspective shooter ala Quake, Unreal Tournament and so on is the keyboard/mouse combo.. Joystick is just plain lacking in response time compared to those two... You may need to invest in a gaming mouse or something.

I suppose people will have their own ways to do things, but I agree that the mouse and keyboard combo is the best game play for first person shooters. I was playing that way in windows before I ever started using Linux. My brother always liked the Gravis game pad pro, and I think I have read how to set that up in Linux, but nothing beats mouse/keyboard.

Thanks, and it's cheaper as well.

The only reason I ask is, after playing on-line with UT2003 and Q3, watching these other guys doing all these wild moves and fancy stuff, I just figured maybe they used something other than what I was using, since I sure can't get around that well.

I think they just plain spent much more time playing Quake than you. I mean. .some people insure their hands for 50,000 dollars (or is it pounds) when they go to gaming tournament. Anyway, don't spend too much on games, it's not just healthy.

Guest Kamikaze_Gerbil
Please tell me what sort of a joystick or other device could I use when playing the games like Quake3, UT2003, Half-Life, RTCW?

I can use the keyboard and mouse, but is there a better way?

I can't find any such devices listed on the Hardware Compatibility List for Mandrake9.

Thanks in advance.

I use a joystick in ut2003. I have the Microsoft :oops: Sidewinder which works ok. To get it to work you need to add the following to etc/modules

input

joydev

gameport

sidewinder

analog

grip

Thats what worked for me.