reduce the image size after editing by gimp

Dear all

I face some problem when I edit some images by gimp, the new edited image becomes large compared with the original image , I mean it took too much space around 36.8 Mega Byte, and this make my pdf file huge as it contains many of such edited images.

the same problem with Corel Draw

So, is there a way to reduce the image size after editing by gimp or at lest keep the old size.

looking for help

stephani

Edited by Stephni

The only time I have seen such as you describe occur is when I edited an image and saved it in another format. Is this true in your case? If so, save in the same format, or another format that compresses the filesize.

Indeed. It obviously depends what kind of image it is that you're working on as to which kind of file format is best, but if it's a photo, and if you're saving it as jpeg, then Gimp should give you a dialog to let you choose the parameters for the Jpeg compression. You can change the quality settings, choose which metadata is included, see the preview, and it'll tell you how big the file will be. In this way you can optimise it how you want to make it bigger or smaller with higher or lower quality.

If it's a gif or a png you're working on, maybe you have increased the colour depth as part of your editing and that's why it's got bigger. So you would need to reduce your colour depth again to get the file size back down again.

It would be easier to answer your question if your question was a bit clearer, ie what kind of images they are, what format they're in when you load them, and in what format you're saving them.

Thanks for help, actually I am using Gimp on Linux, and I need to edit some figures produced by MATLAB after I saved them as eps files, so I load them in Gimp as eps, as I am using this type in my Latex, so when I edited this figure by Gimp, still I want it as eps....and the quality option in Gimp only appears with type jpg but not eps

the only option with eps is select the file type, then pop up dialogue box it

shows the image size {width, height, x offset, y offset} .

I tried to resize the photo, but it loses some of its resolution.

any help

Stephani

Ahaaa, that's a very different question.

As you probably know, eps is a vector file format, not a raster format, and vector formats aren't Gimp's specialty.

What I ended up doing with my eps files from octave was:

• run the eps file first through ps2pdf to convert it into a pdf file
    Load pdf file into Inkscape and edit it
    Save from Inkscape as eps file
    Load new eps file into OpenOffice / whatever

It's a bit awkward but it keeps the vector format (and small file size) and lets you use all Inkscape's tricks.

eps files will never look 100% the same in two different boxes- as the format is hardware (printer) specific.

The best editor for eps files is the current Scribus 1.5.0 from SVN (QΤ4, new pdf rendering libraries), but even that one wouldn't render perfectly an eps made in another machine.

Why do you suggest converting to a pdf?

Can't the existing eps file be opened directly from inkscape?

No, sadly not. Inkscape can save eps files, but not load them, at least not the version which came with Mandy 2009. (Or let's say I couldn't find a way to load eps files into Inkscape ;) ) But the eps to pdf conversion worked well.

actually I can save as jpg after I generate the photo from MATLAB, then edit it by Inkscape then save it as eps, Is there eraser in Inkscape as the only editing I want is to erase out some lines.
:o

I don't think you understand the difference between a raster image and a vector image, or the difference between lossless compression and lossy compression like jpeg.

In short, AVOID JPEGS!

Jpegs will turn your beautiful charts with their clean sharp lines into a nasty blur with spotty artefacts. And if they don't turn them into a blur, they'll make the file size huge. Jpeg is exactly the wrong thing to use for charts out of matlab or octave.

Not quite so terrible is saving from matlab as png or gif, and editing them with gimp as raster images. But the best thing you can do is as I described, using eps and pdf formats to retain the nice vector format.