Gnome vs. KDE

Gnubie

I dunno if Gnome has that ability, but in Gnome 2.2 I never found it. Either it's missing, which means to me it is less usable, or it is hidden, which means they hid it so well it is -well- les usable.

That's right, 2.2 doesn't have that feature. Didn't really bother me, but 2.4 that I'm using now has it, and I use it.

Gnome goes about things in a different manner - let's do a little bit perfectly, and KDE does a lot half-assed. Well, that's my general opinion anyhow. :)

I'm using kde since in gnome they took out options "that no one uses anyway, and things have to be simplified".

Well, I am not a windows user that has to be shown a nice desktop in Linux with a definite, albeit different, consistent interface. I just want the windows to behave the way I want.

I tried and tried, I hated to give up, then someone said, if that is what you want, you can get that easily in kde. And it was true. If you're interested, check on my website, the configuration page, the kde setup part. I explain exactly what I want; which is quite impossible with MSwindows, not quite possible with gnome (they may have put back the options I need in the last version, didn't check in the gnome that's included in 9.2), more or less possible on UNIX (cde) that I have at work and completely possible in kde.

So I rank kde the top window manager/de followed by cde, gnome and mswin furthest away from my requirements.

And as long as they (gnome developers etc) keep saying that more options are dumb, things should be simple ('or we'll never conquer the world') etcetc, I'll just stick with kde.

They have MSwindows compatible settings as defaults, and everything and their brother as options.

Sure, confusing, but at least I can get what I want.

And besides, Linus uses KDE.... :jester:

I dunno if Gnome has that ability, but in Gnome 2.2 I never found it. Either it's missing, which means to me it is less usable, or it is hidden, which means they hid it so well it is -well- les usable.

That's right, 2.2 doesn't have that feature. Didn't really bother me, but 2.4 that I'm using now has it, and I use it.

Gnome goes about things in a different manner - let's do a little bit perfectly, and KDE does a lot half-assed. Well, that's my general opinion anyhow. :)

Well, Linus said something similar, though he put a different spin on it :)

In a recent interview he said:

"But for some reason I just noticed that the KDE people consider it more important to have it working, and sane. Instead of trying to aim for perfection, which the Gnome people are trying to do."

Yeah, that's sorta what I meant, but in a better way towards Gnome... I like them both, don't get me wrong. I just don't like Qt's ugliness (sorry, but just look at it!) and I use only GTK apps anyhow.

Now, the main reason I dug up this thread was to give a Gnome tip that I think someone complained about before (perhaps not in this thread).

Desktop icon size.

You can change it by opening up the File Management properties dialog and setting the default zoom level. You can change the font and size of the desktop font in the Font properties dialog. I wish they would have a single dialog called Desktop Options of something where you can set these and know clearly what they will do... I mean, when you see File Management Properties, that scream "File Manager - Nautilus" to me, not "Desktop icons!!!"

You know?

I've been a Gnome fan for a while, but as much as I liked it, I could really stick with it because it couldnt do what I wanted it to do. That was then.... this is now. Now that I am using Gnome 2.4 I am very satisified. I still do use ye ole KDE apps(Konsole, Konquer, and KB3), but even with KDE, I was using Gnome apps. Well thats it. If you want to know hy I use it, I guess I can only say that it "just works" for me.

I've only been using Linux full time for about a month. I started with KDE because it was easy to use. But load times where a bit long (AMD XP2600, 512 meg PC3200) and odd things would make my system freeze.

So I did a fresh re-install of 9.2 and tried Gnome. I like it. It pushes you to learn your Linux. I liked making links in KDE because it was easy. In gnome I have to do the code. But I need that in this stage of my education. Gnome loads much faster and I'm happy with some of the little things. Mapping keys is easier, pressing ctrl tab in Opera cycles the tabs, in KDE it would cycle my desktops.

I do miss some of the eyecandy though. SuperKaramba was killer. If anybody has any links to pearl or python aps that run in your desktop, that would be much appreciated.

i have used both gnome and kde. as to which i prefer, i havent made up my mind yet. my wife, a rea noobie, prefers kde. probably cuase thats what we use the most. i have done some configuring on kde. heres a screen shot of how mine is set up.

post-21-1069289963.jpg

KDE is nice, especially when mated with slicker as a replacement/addon to the default kicker.

Well, that's nice, but where can you get it??

I can't seem to find binaries -or even source code- anywhere on the site.

There is an excellent tutorial on getting and installing slicker here. It's a little hard to find on the site, it's hidden about 2/3 of the way down the Documentation -> FAQ page.

There are even instructions at the end of that file on how to start slicker instead of kicker when you start KDE. That's the way I always did it.