Linux vs Windex security

Ixthusdan

This is a small rant. In several threads the topic of linux, windex, and security has come up, with quotes from Redmond propaganda, even among gamers! Here is a recent event in my /home network.

I have linux, but my wife runs xppro. It's the usual "I like these programs" stuff. I installed xppro on my box so that I could trouble shoot and fix her box. (It is inevitable!) I also installed McAfee Anti virus and Personal firewall, because xppro is notorius about reporting me to ms servers around the country. My boxes try report to a server in Illinois and one in California. Monday, my wife calls me at work and has virus warnings going off on her computer. I talk her through eventually deleting 21 files in order to get rid of 3 different trojans! Nice, eh? When I get home, I discover that her personal firewall has been disabled since Nov 2. I re enable it, and it immediately says that a program is behaving suspiciously. Which one? Why, the McAfee auto-update feature! Upon researching the file, I find that it has changed sizes and was installed on Nov 18,2066!! I'd say that's suspicious. I run Virus scan, DOS virus scan, free virus scan, all McAfee stuff, and finally they tell me that there is a trojan attacking their program, and that I would have to remove their product and reinstall!

Oh yeah, my linux box has no problems. I am on the net more than she is. Please don't defend windex security with me.

Just to make this fun, should I reinstall McAfee, switch to Symantec, or accidentally destroy her windex installation?? :twisted:

LINUX, install LINUX,.. then she will hate your forever and ever and ever.. :twisted:

Anyway, I think norton is nicer than mcafee, but there are a few other free antivirus alternatives out there.

If you switch to Norton, make sure to get the 2003 edition. The 2004 edition has a "call back" feature that everybody seems to hate.

Can we have a photo of your wife before making descisions....????

:twisted:

DOH.... guess not.... Ill just assume

Ermmm I think your wife might object etc... SO what about the third option.

Install a dedicated linux firewall between Windows and the rest of the world.

I wont even start on Windex security. Half of the claims you hear about linux security as just plain ignorance and FUD. its mainly just... Ah but windows has x,y,z when linux just doesnt need xyz.

Thanks for the links! I left Symantec when their subscription price was higher than what I could buy the whole package for! McAfee is really disappointing. I did not know that they were using "active x". I think that active x is a virus in itself!

Yeah hold on.... I just got to run a virus check cos my system is playing up after rebooting again....

Oh... wait it was all a bad dream I had XP on my PC. WHEW.

If you provide a webmail server like

http://www.lepeanuts.homelinux.com/webmail and stick a linux firewall inbetween you should be pretty safe. Run a proxy server on the firewall and .....

Well, thats what I do and I dont even have a windows machine.....

The webmail is really convenient. If you have windows it keeps any virus s on your secure linux server where they are pretty much impotent and you can check it from work/vacation etc. Mine also downloads all my POP mail

In linux I then download it from here into my local mailbox as an extra convenience .. for instance my voicemail for my IP phone comes as wave files. I could run it direct from the server by setting it up as a url but i guess im lazy

You know, I might have to do that. I have a simple hardware firewall on the router, and personal firewalls on the computers. But it is still vulnerable to trojans. (Obviously!)

Yeah its also about passing them on,

for instance you might have one on a samba share that doesn\t effect linux obviously BUT your widfe could get.

Once you have a good firewall and DMZ its much easier to do things inside it without comprimising security. If you dont then you have to consider EACH individual action of sharing with a windows machine as potentially sharing with the world

", all McAfee stuff, and finally they tell me that there is a trojan attacking their program, and that I would have to remove their product and reinstall!"

Do you mean there is a virus attacking the anti virus programme?

I use Norton Utities which I find essential for keeping windows working. (I'm stuck with windows for some applications so don't have a go at me.) I use macafee anti virus and they do seem to dislike each other.

From what you are saying maybe I should dump macafee, if they can't protect their own programmes it does not exactly inspire confidence. It annoys me anyway that they trying ti get me to buy a product I have already bought.

Do you mean there is a virus attacking the anti virus programme?

Yes, the virus is actually attacking their auto update program. But it might as well be attacking the firewall and the antivirus program, since it all is using the auto update feature. I turned off auto update so I am not spreading the virus.

there are a few things you can do to make winblows secure. i run a dual boot so having a working pc is imperative. i have a router and software firewall. what i did with windows was; remove activeX, remove VBSscript, IE, windows messenger, MSN Explorer, Windows media player, MSN messenger, Outlook Express, MS Office XP, IIS, and a few other things. basically its winblows by name only.

thats step 1. step 2 is to make a limited account and dont give the administrative password out. this way she cant disable things like the firewall. (btw, i should mention that removing VBSscript will make norton anti-virus not work. it will say to install IE, even when you install IE it will still say that as its looking for VBSscript)

since most viruses/trojans/worms are written in VBS, removing VBSscript renders them useless.

when the blaster worm and such was goin on i stayed out of windows (i rarely boot into windows any way). even with all these precautions i have take, i still dont trust MS security.

in linux.....well, i have that nicely configured. reading "hacking linux exposed 2nd edition" helped alot.