toshiba tecra

kilimanjaro

Aloha

Somebody gave me a Toshiba Tecra m2v-s330, 1.5 GHz

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/tecra_M2V.pdf

I tried installing spring 2009, and it seemed to go fine, but when I try to reboot, I get the first splash screen with the penguin and status bar, then it goes to verbose and then I just get "_" and it stops. It never even get to the login.

Any ideas?

kili

OK, so I tied to boot in safe mode and got the command line screen. I tried to open nautilus and it said it couldn't display it, so I tried to run display and it said the x sever wasn't working.

Edited by kilimanjaro

in safe mode, log in with your normal user and the type:

startx

this should start the X server, if there is a problem it will tell you an error message, post that here.

Edited by tux99

If there is still a problem, it may be that your video card isn't supported by the default driver for that card. Try using the VESA driver and then try startx again.

If that works, install urpmi sources (with EasyURPMI) including the plf sources and you should get the latest (and/or correct) drivers for your card.

in safe mode, log in with your normal user and the type:

startx

this should start the X server, if there is a problem it will tell you an error message, post that here.

So when I type "startx" it prints something on the screen, but it goes blank so fast I can't read it.

If there is still a problem, it may be that your video card isn't supported by the default driver for that card. Try using the VESA driver and then try startx again.

If that works, install urpmi sources (with EasyURPMI) including the plf sources and you should get the latest (and/or correct) drivers for your card.

So that did it. How do I find out what driver I need? It seemed that the one I had before was correct.

Choose all the correct sources with EasyURPMI (including the plf sources) first. Then use XFdrake and re-choose the correct graphic card and the system should suggest to download a better driver for your card.

Is it ATI, Nvidia, Intel or something else?

Edited by dude67

So when I type "startx" it prints something on the screen, but it goes blank so fast I can't read it.

If the driver doesn't work then it would fall back to the text console and you could read the error messages.

If it doesn't do that, but the screen stays black with nothing on it then the driver is ok (the Intel 855GME has been supported for a long time so I would be surprised if it doesn't work), you can switch back to the text console manually by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 to check what it says.

It could well be that the output simply switches to the VGA port for an external monitor for some reason, so maybe try pressing the key that toggles between internal/external monitor, and check the BIOS settings with regards to the display device.

Edited by tux99