MDK 9.0 as Router

Guest kaioo

Hi !!

I am trying to set up a MDK 9 Linux Server as Router for the local Network. The Internet Connection via ISDN works fine, I can use the Internet from my Server without any problems. The network works also, I can see and also use the localhost of my server from other workstations in the network, but the routing doesn't work. I tried it with the wizard, to share my internet connection, but it still doesn't work, do you know a how to to do it without the wizard, or does anyone know what I could have forgotten?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

greetings,

Felix

Guest faijzing

I got exactly the same problem. I was using Mandrake 8.2 as a router and upgraded to 9.0 recently, but I can't get it to work with the wizard (drakegw). So I installed 8.2 again. I understand that Firestarter can act as a router, so I´m thinking of reinstalling 9.0 again and try it that way, but I'm not sure it'll work.

Please post something if you solved the problem.

Not much help I'm afraid. :oops:

Good luck!

-= faijzing =-

Hi !!

I tried it with the wizard, to share my internet connection, but it still doesn't work, do you know a how to to do it without the wizard, or does anyone know what I could have forgotten?

On the other machines in the network, did you change the default gateway to the IP of your server? Check the IP's of the nic's in the server, perhaps they were changed during install/upgrade.

My setup:

on server:

eth0 192.168.0.1 for local network

eth1 10.0.0.150 for internetconnection (ADSL)

on other machines in network:

default gateway 192.168.0.1

If the gateway is the wrong IP, this would explain that you can see the server from the stations and the internet from the server but not the internet from the stations

Hope this works for ya

Guest faijzing

Thanx sp4rky, but I´ve checked all the NICs and their IPs. It´s exactly as you described it, only that I got eht0 to internet and eth1 to my local network. But it still refuses to work.

Did another try last night with MDK 9.0, this time with a clean install, but the problem is still the same. I can connect to internet on eth0 and my local network on eth1. But when I activate the Internet connection sharing, through the drakegw wizard, I loose my connection to the internet. It says "not connected" and will refuse to connect when I try to activate it, allthough the NIC is "up" and shows my ISP-provided IP.

Once or twice I got the connection to internet to work for a while, but it dies within minutes.

If I try to connect to internet from one of my computers on the local network, I get a message that says "connection refused". So my conclusion is that the masquerading doesn´t work and my ISP can see that I´m trying to connect from another computer(?)

If I inactive my local networks NIC, then I can conncet to internet from my Mandrake computer and the connection won´t die., but then the local network is down, so...

Well, everything works fine when I do exactly the same in MDK 8.2, I just run the wizard and that´s it. The configuration and the NICs IPs all look the same to me, so I can´t figure out why it won´t work in MDK 9.0!!

Hopefully it will work better in the future, when I´m not a newbie anymore.

- faijzing -