How to set up network printing

dude67

I have a USB printer (all-in-one: HP 2350 PSC) attached to my Mandriva 2009.1 desktop. I also have a laptop, I would like to be able to print to the said printer with Mandriva (or on rare occation with Vista). I have tried to set it up for a long time, but no luck.

I thought this page was quite good in giving advice, but couldn't get it to work (my config file seems a little different from that of the opensuse one).

I did make some additions to the cupsd.conf file, but I am really not sure what is wrong with it and why I cannot connect to the printer. I have disabled firewall altogether. From my Vista laptop I can ping Mandriva system OK and I can connect to the cups page: http://192.168.254.5:631/printers/. But I cannot set the printer up in Vista (or in Mandriva 2009.1).

Oh, and I have installed and enabled sambaserver on this Mandriva desktop, as I would like to share some files later on between Mandriva and Windows. Hope this doesn't interfere with ipp printing. I did also try to get the sambaprinter working, but that didn't work either. I couldn't get Vista to print to that printer, even though I did find the network printer (samba) from the Vista laptop.

Where to go from here?

Here's my /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file:

# Show troubleshooting information in error_log.
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup lpadmin root
Group sys
User lp
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
 # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
 Order deny,allow
 Deny From All
 Allow From 127.0.0.1
 Allow From 127.0.0.2
 Allow @LOCAL
 Allow From 192.168.254.*
</Location>
<Location /admin>
 Encryption Required
 # Allow remote administration...
 Order allow,deny
 Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
 AuthType Default
 Require user @SYSTEM
 # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
 Order allow,deny
 Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Policy default>
 <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
   Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
   Order deny,allow
 </Limit>
 <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
   AuthType Default
   Require user @SYSTEM
   Order deny,allow
 </Limit>
 <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
   AuthType Default
   Require user @SYSTEM
   Order deny,allow
 </Limit>
 <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
   Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
   Order deny,allow
 </Limit>
 <Limit All>
   Order deny,allow
 </Limit>
</Policy>
MaxLogSize 0

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did try through there as well. I accessed the conf file from the cups web interface (I can also access the cups web interface and configure the printer from my Vista laptop remotely.

A very helpful message from Vista then :lol2:

Does the printer show up as online in the printer management page of cups?

It could be a matter of selecting the driver that will work with your printer. Unfortunately I can't tell you the one to use. Maybe someone else can. Sorry I can't be of more help.

[Yes, I agree, there's not much information in that Vista message...

Well, I did install the correct driver in Vista - it's just that it doesn't seem to get a reply from the printer/Mandriva PC. I just don't know what it is that I'm missing.

For both Linux and Windows, I installed the printer first as a USB printer and got that working. Then I added a wireless printer using the same drivers.

I used the following steps for Windows XP. Vista was similar. I can verify the port settings later.

1. Install the printer drivers according to manufacturer's instructions.

2. Start Add Printer Wizard

3. Click Next

4. Choose Local printer attached to this computer, make sure box to Automatically detect is unchecked, and choose Next

5. Choose Create a new port

6. Choose Type of port: as Standard TCP/IP Port and choose Next

7. Click Next

8. Enter 192.168.0.1 for Printer Name or IP Address - Port Name: should be IP_192.168.0.1 (192.18.0.1 is the default gateway for my Netgear router)

9. Click Next

10. For Device Type, should be Standard, Generic Network Card

11. Click Next

12. Click Finish

13. Complete wizard by choosing appropriate printer and driver

14. Give printer a new name if necessary - I chose Networked Canon MP600 Printer

15. Once printer is installed, right-click on printer and choose Properties

16. Choose Ports tab

17. Choose Configure Port... for the Standard TCP/IP port you just added

18. I don't think this step is necessary, but I changed the Port Number to 515

19. Change Protocol to LPR

20. Under LPR Settings, for Queue Name: type in LPT1 and click on OK, then OK

Regarding Vista, I had to go into printer preferences and under Spool Print Documents, change the setting from "Start printing immediately" to "Start printing after last page is spooled" for my printer to work properly.

Windows XP and Vista do report an error about not being able to communicate with the printer, but the printer prints anyway.

OK, tnx David.

I will check and redo the installation on Vista. I think I did it pretty much like you discribed it, but I think I have the printer on RAW not LPR. Is that the problem then?

Oh, and another thing: Why did you change the port to 515?

I have also been unable to set the printer in Mandriva 2009.1 on the same hardware (dual boot laptop). That would suggest some kind of problem on the other end.

No luck. Could someone, who's been able to print over network (be it over two linux machines or printing from windows to linux), post the conf file (/etc/cups/cupsd.conf) here? If possible from a Mandriva 2009.1 installation... I think the problem may be on my cups setup.

I'd like to see what's wrong with my setup. It cannot be the firewall on my Mandriva setup as I've tested with the firewall disabled. And I've tried on my laptop with both Mandriva and Vista with no luck.

Progress: I managed to add the printer for the laptop in Mandriva! :thumbs: In the end it was quite simple with CUPS.

But I have not been able to add the printer for Vista. I would need it for Vista if my son wants to play some windows games he needs to print from (in the past he needed printing for Bob the Builder game and for one Batman kiddie game).

I need the printer mostly for my Mandriva, but it would eventually be nice to be able to get it to work in Vista as well. Anyway, this has partly been solved.

I generally add the printers in Windows as http or ipp printers than to use them as TCP/IP printers when they are connected to cups. Maybe try this if you hadn't already.