Novell buys SuSE

DragonMage

i knew novel was behind linux, but isnt this a bit much?

red hat is discontinuing their support of desktop linux. red hat it looks like, will only persue the enterprise. http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ie=ISO-8...tnG=Search+News

How can you miss it? It's written with giant letters on their website (and, interestingly, a red 'N' of 'Novell' I suppose present in the name Linux). And they are not trying to hide their ambitions:

http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2...11/pr03069.html

(post also submitted to push this back to the top; people have *got* to see this)

Darkelve

Jeepers creepers! Novell jumping in with both feet (can't believe SuSE was selling after landing Germany as a customer!) AND Red Hat abandoning the desktop!

I suppose M$Linux desktop will be out soon?

Either way - mandrake is my bread & butter.

I just hope someone will bring gnome 2.4 to suse 9 sometime soon, I moved away from kde and suse 9 uses 2.2.3 or something like that. :wall:

It's very polished, but I got used to my main station and 2.4 that the old one is a stumble. Please fix people, I don't mind compiling Gnome on Gentoo (cause it does it for me) But I aint going to do it on SuSE too. :afro:

This will have some interesting implications (in no particular order):

- Novell has the whole networking thing going (like it or not, they haven't hung around this long for nothing)

- SuSE still has a Desktop focus

- SuSE is a major KDE contributor (Desktop focus)

- Novell has Ximain now, which is a *major* Gnome contributor (more Desktop focus)

- Evolution is Novell's (through Ximian) (cororate Desktop)

- Ximian Connector hooks Evolution up to Exchange (serious cororate Desktop)

- Ximian Desktop 2.........

- SuSE Openexchange server (go read about it at their site...... it is pretty awesome looking..... try the online demo)

- IBM and SuSE already have a realtionship that is strong

- IBM and Novell have a good relationship (and US$50 million stock now in Novell)

What's very interesting is where SCO got their Unix license...... Novell. I'm no lawyer, but I've read some intersting stuff stemming from that. *Opinions* range from "So what?" to "Litigation proof". I'm not sure what's right...... We'll see- but it's interesting.

This will be *very* interesting for Linux. Let's hope they do it right......

Gotta wonder about the timing, in light of Red Hat's announcement yesterday.

Still, I'm quite happy with Mandrake. :-)

I'd love to know what Ballmer and Co. see in this.

I can hardly see a suitable business model for Novell selling Linux shrink wrapped boxes. Novell (was and still) is a big company (revenue, customer base, # of employees...), mainly making money out of NetWare and network services.

If they wish to increase their presence on the Linux SERVICE market, they did not need to buy Suse. Unless they want to release a Novell Linux, filled up with proprietary add-ons, plugins, drivers and services.

Anyway, I've been working for Novell for 9 years. I remember that behind Novell was Ray Noorda (I wonder if he's still a big Novell shareholder). This guy created the company (first CEO). And since 1985, he has spend a fortune trying to launch desktop OS alternatives to Windows (including acquiring Digital Research, and many other graphical/windows systems to be included/melted with NetWare client software or handled by other Noorda's smaller companies). Maybe he's still fighting Msoft....With this kind of weapon (NetWare + Suse distro + Ximian) he may have a chance (but a proprietary one).

Dont forget, SuSE "SERVER" 8 is in use and get's good reviews along with there openexchange server. Not everything is going to be focused on "desktops". Remeber, Novel "used" to have a good Enterprise server. There going to hit "every" market in my opinion and I think there going to start blowing away the competion!! B)

Well, a guy can only dream! :woops:

SuSE does make a very good polished Desktop and Server, along with a lot of work they do for Linux and all the stuff and Money Novell and IBM poor in, this will be great!

Instead of me going on, just check out there products.

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/index.html

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/s...rver/index.html

Standard Server 8

With its comprehensive graphical administration, SUSE LINUX Standard Server was designed for small organizations and departments that want to implement their Internet access as well as e-mail, print, and file services in a reliable, secure way. Standard Server is available for 32-bit processors (x86) from AMD and Intel and supports up to two CPUs

Enterprise Server 8

SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 8 is a leading server operating system for professional deployment in heterogeneous IT environment of all sizes and sectors. It is available for all relevant hardware platforms, ranging from AMD/Intel 32-bit and 64-bit processors to the entire IBM eServer series including mainframes - one single server operating system with a uniform code basis!

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/o...ange/index.html

SUSE Linux Openexchange Server 4.1 will be available on November 17th

Communication Unlimited

SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1 is the trend-setting groupware and communication solution that helps your company to progress - with superior technical features, far-reaching hardware independence, smooth migration, and a wide range of supported clients including Outlook clients from Outlook 98 and various web browsers.

For All Requirements

No matter whether you have 5 or 2,500 users - on the basis of standardized protocols and Open Source components, SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server provides all services that modern enterprises and organizations need for their communication: e-mail and web server, groupware, collaboration, and messaging.

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/s.../sld/index.html

Suse Desktop

And lets not forget our Home users (us)

http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/index.html

x86 & amd64

I find this very interesting for several different reasons:

1. It creates a major player in the linux market with the capital and experience to really promote Linux. Let's just hope that you can still download SuSe for free.

2. With IBM investing as much as they are into Novell, what will the future of Novell be? As one person commented on NewsForge, how far down the road will it be before we here that IBM has bought out Novell. IBM already has a very high stake in Linux and they are the one company, that if they invested some serious money into Linux, could give Microsoft a run for its money.

3. What will the future of KDE be like. You now have Novell, in essence, backing Gnome with the purchase of Ximian and investing money into it. Where does that leave KDE and it is strong enough to compete as a distributed open source project?

Personally I see this as nothing but good for Linux. It is about time that some major companies came on board and started to invest money and resources into this little OS. The future just got a lot more interesting.

Wow. I am so psyched... The main thing that concerns me is the availability of Linux to everyone - I don't want to use SuSE; nor will other Debian users, Gentoo users, etc etc. We want to use our own distros, but what kind of cooperation will Novell/SuSE/IBM have with us now? Will they help the other distros? Will Novell really make any money on the desktop if they have competition from Debian, Mandrake, Gentoo, etc?

You put it very well... The future just got a lot more interesting.

And the only thing we can do is wait.

Wow. I am so psyched... The main thing that concerns me is the availability of Linux to everyone - I don't want to use SuSE; nor will other Debian users, Gentoo users, etc etc. We want to use our own distros, but what kind of cooperation will Novell/SuSE/IBM have with us now? Will they help the other distros? Will Novell really make any money on the desktop if they have competition from Debian, Mandrake, Gentoo, etc?

You put it very well... The future just got a lot more interesting.

And the only thing we can do is wait.

I agree, very interesting future ahead of us.

I do like SuSE's ability to push ahead and they have some great products, but like you say I use Gentoo on my main desktop now and what will all come of this will be interesting. Linux is still Linux so lets just hope it's will be a bright or brite?? Future!

B)