9.2rc->9.2 and no sound

Christian.Mercat

Hi there,

Better is the enemy of good. I had a working 9.2rc with the ATI acceleration compiled in and for no reasons I decided to upgrade to 9.2. I installed the precompiled ATI acceleration packages. And I have no sound anymore (I don't know if it is related to ATI). The only sound I hear is at boot time, when restoring the Alsa mixer setup, an horrible crack. And the same crack sometimes when I drakxservices up and down the alsa or sound modules.

xmms and play seem happy with themselves but I can't hear anything. kmix is not happy:

$ kmix

Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

ERROR: KMix : impossible de trouver le mixeur.

Veuillez vérifier que la carte son est installée et que le

pilote de la carte est chargé

Roughly: impossible to find the mixer. Please check that your sound card is installed and that its driver is loaded.

And they are:

# lspcidrake -v | grep AUDIO

snd-intel8x0 : Intel Corporation|ICH4 845G/GL Chipset AC'97 Audio Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:8086 device:24c5 subv:1028 subd:011d)

# grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

# lsmod |grep snd

snd-seq-oss 32000 0 (unused)

snd-seq-midi-event 6080 0 [snd-seq-oss]

snd-seq 42544 2 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]

snd-pcm-oss 43652 0 (unused)

snd-mixer-oss 14200 0 [snd-pcm-oss]

snd-intel8x0 22020 3

snd-pcm 79588 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]

snd-timer 18436 0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]

snd-ac97-codec 45720 0 [snd-intel8x0]

snd-mpu401-uart 4704 0 [snd-intel8x0]

snd-rawmidi 17760 0 [snd-mpu401-uart]

snd-seq-device 5832 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]

snd-page-alloc 9044 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm]

snd 41380 3 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]

soundcore 6340 0 [snd]

# chkconfig --list sound

sound 0:Arrêt 1:Arrêt 2:Marche 3:Marche 4:Marche 5:Marche 6:Arrêt

# chkconfig --list alsa

alsa 0:Arrêt 1:Arrêt 2:Marche 3:Marche 4:Marche 5:Marche 6:Arrêt

# aumix -q

vol 100, 100, R

pcm 84, 84

speaker 87, 87

line 65, 65, P

mic 65, 65, P

cd 100, 100, P

igain 100, 100

line1 65, 65, P

phin 65, 65, P

video 65, 65, P

# amixer

Simple mixer control 'Master',0

Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined

Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

Limits: Playback 0 - 31

Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]

Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]

Also I lost some items in the menus lists under the KDE menu, I used to have xmms and everything under the Sound menu and they are no longer there. It seems I should reinstall some packages but I don't know how to (I only know how to deinstall things and reinstall them but that's obviously not what I want to do, so many things rely on sound!). Should I download manually alsa and --force its installation?

Thanks,

Christian Mercat

> alsamixer

Of course I can. But the changes I do don't lead me anywhere, nothing is muted etc...

Actually I hear the horrible crack sound + the usual beep whenever the system beep is called... I don't know through which path this beep is issued and how I can use this info to get to the point...

Thanks, Christian Mercat

Hmm, can you just cat a file (traditionally: /boot/vmlinuz, but you may want to take an audio file instead.. ;) ) to /dev/dsp or /dev/sound/dsp or so?

While you're at it, can you ll /dev/dsp and /dev/sound/ to check for permissions..?

You mention that xmms does fine, but if you start it from the command line, does it say anything..? (Note: I don't know 'play', is that a command? )

Sorry to launch another couple of shots in the dark here... hope someone else with more experience in your direction can give some better hints (from the way you write/describe, you may already have tried what I just mentioned..)

Ah... arts.. the bane of linux multimedia but needed in order to have multiple sound channels working in kde :)

For xmms, download the arts plugin rpm ( I forgot from where, maybe from contrib, main tree, or plf) and use it instead of alsa or oss plugin.

Now, another thing that I remember to change since I am using a toshiba laptop with the alsa sound driver. Go to KDE control system, then go to Sound -> Sound system. Go to the Sound I/O tab. Check Use Custom Sampling Rate and set it to 48000. If I don't enable that, then any sound longer than a few seconds will sound like a scratched up turntable :)

• 2 weeks later...
Now, another thing that I remember to change since I am using a toshiba laptop with the alsa sound driver. Go to KDE control system, then go to Sound -> Sound system. Go to the Sound I/O tab. Check Use Custom Sampling Rate and set it to 48000. If I don't enable that, then any sound longer than a few seconds will sound like a scratched up turntable :)

I have a Gericom Laptop with VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller and I had the same problem.