What do you use for backup?

rldev

I am using Mandriva 2010 Cooker. It is running well. I want to have system snapshots as well as access to incremental file backups.

What are some of you using? Do you use the Drakbackup software? There seems to be 2 different ones in MCC. Thanks.

[moved from Software by Greg2]

I have used Drakbackup in the past, but I stopped doing that because there was no easy way to recover files. Now they're addressing this issue though, so you could give this good tool a try.

Draksnapshot is another kind of backup where you have a snapshot of some directories created each hour/day/month… (or something like that). This is the kind of backup I use now, although not Mandriva's tool but rather a script of my own (an old version is posted somewhere here).

Yves.

I use bacula for enterprise level packups (or the embedded backup module of DirectAdmin in a couple of systems on CentOS with DirectAdmin), and luckyBackup ( http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/luckyBackup?content=94391 ) for SOHO. The latter is a new, but very promising rsync frontend, which is working very well.

Edited by scarecrow

I only backup my stuff, not the system stuff. It makes for quicker backups and recoveries. I also don't back up everything of mine I have on the disk because some of it is just for temporary use. So I wrote a bash script myself. It reads a list of files and directories from a config file called ".backupfiles" and writes them out to a disk. The script writes out the files only if they are new or changed since the previous backup, so I can do a complete backup of ~20 Gig in about 10 - 20 minutes.... most of that spent tarring the mail folders. If I don't have to tar the mail folders I can do a complete backup in 5 to 10 minutes.

The medium I use is the little Western Digital Passport drive. I have two of them. They are smaller than a pack of cards and are powered by the USB port. So far I have had good luck with them... knock wood.

Oh, and this is a home system running 2008.1, so I can do anything I want with it. B)

Banjo

(_)=='=~

rsnapshot (the program that Draksnapshot calls, but without the extra layer). Rsnapshot is really an intelligent front-end which maintains monthly/weekly/daily/hourly (which do not necessarily mean what the words say; if you want 15 min snapshots, then just make calls every 15 mins to 'rsnapshot hourly'. There is no GUI to restore, but restoring is not happening that often, so manual restore works just fine.