How to get Canon BJ i450 Printer working

spiedra

For those trying to get the Canon i450 printer to work under Linux, here's a solution:

1. Go to http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/bjlinux220.html to download and install the following printer drivers

- bjfilterpixus550i-2.2-0.i386.rpm

- bjfiltercups-2.2-0.i386.rpm

*source files are also available, put I heard they were incomplete, but these rpms work just fine

2. Restart CUPS

3. As root type:

# lpadmin -p i450 -m canonpixus550i.ppd -v canon_usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E

# lpadmin -d i450

4. Print and enjoy!

This info can also be found at http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums.cgi?gr...al;article=1405

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much! Using these rpms I have been able to get my i450 to print out a perfect test page.

However, I've so far been unable to print from any application. I'm running Mandrake 9.2, 384M ram, Athlon XP1600; everything so far seems to be functioning as it should be, but I'm struggling to get a print out. I even get so far that I see jobs in the printing queue, but fail to get to the output. KJobViewer shows print jobs as either processing or queued.

I've been googling but so far not finding much in the way of helpful material, maybe because the whole USB printer thing is fairly new...

Out of curiosity, what version of mandrake are you guys using?

I ask because with the last two version of mandrake, my HP PSC 1210 required that same kind of manual configuration that was a bit of a pain, but with 9.2, it works out of the box with no manual configuration at all.

If you're using 9.2 alllready, you can always hope that future verison provide better support.

VeeDub,

I'm using Mandrake 9.2, but I don't think really that it's version-related problem, I think that it is because this is a newer series of Canon printers and driver maturity isn't what it should be. So these drivers are in tune with the printer for the most part, but maybe just a tweak away from being what they need to be? I don't really know. I'm new at this, I read and read and read some more, one day I'll have exactly what I need, this is one of those deals. I could probably buy another printer that would work, but I've got time to work this thing out!

I also looked in the latest Knoppix release to see if it could configure for this printer, and it can't...the state of the art on CUPS driver list seems to be identical between Mandrake 9.2 and Knoppix 3.3.

I was able to get the emacs tutorial from Knoppix and install it in my Mandrake installation...thought that was pretty neat!

Oh well, maybe a later version...

i know it's not a "version problem" as you put it, yet, as with my printer, you may find that a newer versino of mandrake may be better set up for configuring your printer. (My printeris relatively new as well)

If you do get a new printer, I'd reccomend the same printer I have, especialy now that 9.2 is out. It's fantastic, multi function copier/printer/scanner. Flatbed instead of fead-through and the resolution for both scanning and printing is great for home use. If you are an imaging professional, it's probably not adequit, but short of that, it's fantastic, and only $99.95.

Use Turbo Print. After upgrading to MDK 9.2, I couldn't reinstall the drivers I listed because of some conflicts with other libs, but turboprint resolved the issue. It prints great pages and supports a lot of printers. Only downside is a fee of $25 USD for the full version, but as much as I use the printer, small price to pay. If I rememeber, it's www.turboprint.com, if that's not it, google it, it will come up.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I found any of the 7000, 7002, and 7004 drivers to work with my Canon, but I only found this out by trying every single canon driver Mandy has. So, if non of the default drivers work, then google it, and if google fails, then there is always Turboprint as a last resort.