the impossible network

linux_learner

i have a question that probably most of yall will say is impossible, prob is, i dont accept "thats impossible". why? because we can do anything, its just a matter of figuring out how. having said that, heres my question.

i want to have multiple computers share the same ip address at the same time. how do we make this happen?

its for a web server. there would be one dns, but each computer is connected to the other like a node, a hop, using ipsec, and ip masking. all computers would be broadcasting the same ip address to the single dns. this is as well as i can explain it for now. if you have any questions, ask me.

I use a simple router to hook up my 6 computers. They all share the same IP internet connection and all can network together.

This is great for games like Quake. And since its a cable connection they all have nice internet access times.

But I dought this is the answer your looking for.

I have a single line from my ISP coming in to my firewall, from the firewall theres a lan nic to a hub which currently has 3 machines on it, also from the firewall theres a DMZ nick which has the web/ftp server on it.

The firewall is running NAT so all machines seem to be coming from the same IP. Is that what you were looking to do?

The firewall is running NAT so all machines seem to be coming from the same IP. Is that what you were looking to do?

kinda. i'm more lookin at a wan. networking a wan and accomplishing this. from what i understand, NAT is the way to go.

thanks for the replies thus far.

if you want a bunch of computers to appear to be coming from the same IP then NAT (er, i've always called it IP masquerading myself) is the way to go. just get a NAT device and if you need more just add a switch to one of the connections. if you want to have a DNS server of your own you could always just set it up and then manually add it to the DNS servers of each system. or maybe you can configure that NAT device to give it out...

Many routers have NAT built in. I have a great router. It's a SMC Barricade Turbo model SM?C2404WBR

1 WAN port that your sip plugs into, three LAN ports for hard connected computers and my favorite, it's also a WiFi station. I think it was about $150.00, but I may be wrong, I bought it a while ago.

my router has NAT, altho i'm not sure how to use it. i need to know however, how to accomplish this from accross the country. point a is say west coast, point b is east coast. dns is is the name of the web site. how would i accomplish this?

So the computers you want to share the same IP address are in separate geographical locales? (i.e. they are not on the same physical lan network then?) That makes it a lot harder. However, the same principles should apply.

As long as you are not expecting the computers to all be doing the same thing, you have two possible solutions:

1. setup on computer in front as a firewall running nat. Then as requests come into it, use port forwarding to forward the requests to the different computers. Theoretically this should work. However, you may need two interent connections in order to accomplish this. You would have to take the port forward signal from the second ethernet connection and route it back onto the internet.

2. There are various forms of cluster computing / load balancing software that can handle this. Usually you have all the computers together in the same room, however, it can still work if they are geographically separate. All the computers do the same thing, and as requests come in, they are routed to the server doing the least amount of work. I don't have any links for you though.

Neither solutions is easy to setup though.

yes, seperate geographical areas. i dont necissarily like the idea of one computer being the NAT. i was thinking more along the lines of a wheel configuration. all broadcasting the same ip to the dns (ex. www.google.com ) perhaps if each computer used a router w/nat and they were all on the same subnet (somehow, maybe through vpn). the idea to this is to create a web of nodes all inter connected to each other to finnally go to the single dns. i have also been thinking about having a couple NAT ip's so i could set up a ddns and rotate the ip's.