Whither Mandrake?

spinynorman

Did you visit the link I posted above? You obviously do not know me. I type this post from my main distro ML9.2. I have never done anything but defend mandrake. I have not, nor can I recall anyone saying one distro is superior to another, but rather give reasons why they prefer one over another, and state that it's a personal preference. I do not doubt that it has happened, and suspect it may in the future, but that's their opinion. My record speaks for itself and I shouldn't even answer to your implications because I can promise you, 'that dog won't hunt', and everyone that has a history here know it :D .

Take note that you are in the "Everything Linux' Section of the Forum. :P

A forum for news, info, links, and just about any other general Linux conversation.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats very odd BVC, but I do not seem to recall pointing to you or any particular person.

All I can say is "if the cap fits wear it" . My comment was a general comment and should be seen this way and I suspect most readers would see it that way.

Thanks for the smiley as you tried to give me a slapdown.

Cheers. John

I did not suggest anyone leave just because they were not actually using Mandrake.  I appreciate your efforts to help Mandrake users but I am a little sick of constant promotion of debian and gentoo as being superior and that Mandrake is really only for the likes of us who are not smart enough and called newbies. Like Mandrake is for newbies but if you want to no longer be considered a newbie then you have to migrate to one these other OSs.

my friend :)

it is not elitism. most of the time when you see someone saying "gentoo rules!" or "debian is better :P" they are playing around and are not serious. give them the benefit of the doubt that you have asked for and assume they are joking. i don't know of anyone here that thinks less or lower of someone who uses mandrake (they better not! i went off to gentoo, then arch after 9.1, and came back to mandrake when 9.2 came out!). least of all iphitus...he's just a young boy who likes to have fun-i doubt he was trying to be "elitist" or the such-especially since he still asks me for help on IRC from time to time ;) (ok, a lot less than before...but whatever!).

anyways, if someone is obviously stating that another person is of a lower intelligence or the such, for any reason, the mods will be editing his post and sending him a PM, I assure you of that. I do not see anywhere that that has been done here-but i warn all to tread carefully on this topic!

:blink: (i'm going to start putting that at the end of my posts just 'cuz i think it's so freakin' cool!)

(p.s.-Mandrake/Gentoo/Debian aren't different OS's, just different distributions ;) just so ya know)

Linux ROCKS

I give :tux: 2 :thumbs: up. I saw :xmas: last night and he said I was :evil: talked to tyme, he said I was :screwy: talked to mysti and she said she was a :evilmod: , bvc is still :headbang: to music I sent him. I'm still in front of my :puter:

:luv::paul:

The :end:

:lol2:

http://www.newsforge.com/software/03/10/30...&tid=150&tid=82

Saw this on newsforge and it is relevant to whither mandrake. Who's going to use it and why should they?

Before you all start foaming at the mouth and making inane comments think about it. Actually that perhaps is not the best way to put it but never mind.

You are a sole or a small business user that can choose between windows or linux why should you use linux and specifically mandrake? You can walk in to any store and buy a computer with windows installed and all the scanners printers etc you could want to run a paperless office. There is this obscure thing you see on the shelves that looks like an alternative to windows but you can't find anything out about it. The IT consultants that are beating a path to your door have either never heard of linux, or leave you with the impression that its not as good as windows.

You can buy manuals so that you can learn how to use the office suites etc plenty of places offer courses if thats what you want. On the other hand the books on linux go in to obscure detail that don't really tell you how to work the blasted thing.

Windows also has loads of magazines that tell you how to tweak and so on. It does seem silly that you have to buy programmes to sop it crashing but that seems to be what you have to do.

Linux magazines are confusing because they talk about all these different distros none of which seems to be like the other. Mandrake which seemed quite good might not be around if it goes out of business and certainly does not seem serious about providing any kind of service, they have a very active users forum that they seem to regard as an irritation (going by some of the posts) which rather suggests it doesn't care about the long term or has no clear strategy for survival.

So what would you do if you were running a linux distribution? How would you plan a long term strategy and what would you do?

If you need the company support, it's RedHat. From all the linux companies, RH seems to be the on the ball in term of company presence. I mean they are available even in Indonesia.

However, mandrake doesn't seem to go anywhere, not even to disappear. Even if mandrakesoft disappear, the distro will stay on. There are a few people volunteering to take over mandrake already in order to improve the distro and give it to the community. So for general purpose free stuff, mandrake is still the best for me.

BVC, you dream.
Actually, I don't. By the time I get done helping people here and doing the occational thing or two for myself, I average 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night.....hard sleep.....lay down...and don't remember or dream a thing, then 3 alarms wake me up. You know why I do it? To get people to switch to Debian because ML stinks and is for n00bs :lol2: zzz

You know why I do it? To get people to switch to Debian because ML stinks and is for n00bs

BVC you traitor! How dare you tout the superiority of debian over mandrake... errr.. :oops: that doesn't sound right :lol:

Anyway, it seems that debian is the holy grail of installation in terms of binary-based distro. I mean, if you can install debian, you can install anything it seems. But still, debian is not a popular distro over here because the bad availability of broadband. I was tempted to remaster knoppix using updated debian packages and removing unneeded packages, until I realize that in order to do that.. I probably need to turn my modem on for a week. And the payment for the phone and the ISP bill will go to the roof if I do that. :angry:

Anyway, the unavailability of broadband makes me like it even more. Mandrake :thumbs:

:wall:

Firstly AussieJohn,

Your motivation is correct. Nothing wrong however the primary reason a lot of the more advanced users stick with this board is simply to help others!! Several of them keep a Mandrake version on their PC simply to support others.

Mandrake has always been a 'easy' distro for noobies. I recommend it to noobies BUT it certainly isn't the best distro for every job.

Firstly it is noobified to the point where you are unlikely to learn the finer points. That's fine, this isn't elitism its realism. You wouldn't learn to drive in a Rally prepared car, it would be madness. One mistake and your screwed.

You don't learn to fly in aerobatic plane either for the same reason.

In fact you can't realistically expect to drive a rally prepared car without detailed training and knowing how the engine works, if you don't the chance is you would kill yourself or screw the tranmission or 500 other things.

I would actively encourage someone like your young countryman :P to try lots of distro's because they all have different things to offer.

I see very little elitism on this board.... considering the technical knowledge of some of the contributers ..... its virtually non existant.

Many of the people here are full time IT people with years of experience, however you probably don't know that becuase no one is shouting it from the rooftops!!! For instance, when I and your young coutrnyman reached 1000 posts we were automatically awarded the title of Mandrake Guru. Neither of us gfelt comfortable with that and considering Im teased about the length of my posts I chose a self depricating title.

I don't wanna 'slap you down' becuase I know your intentions are good but just because some of the old timers here don't go round shouting out how much they know compared to noobies doesn't mean they don't. You settled on Mandrake as your first distro.... good choice BUT it certainly isn't the only one nor is it the best for everyone.

When you made the other post about 'do some devlepment and stop complaining' - well a lot of us did in the past (I currently do stuff for other things linux becuase I was disenchanted by the Mandrake feedback to testers and contributers!!) The REAL genius's like TEXSTAR or PLF aren't even acknowledged on the Mandrake site.

Once again, just becuase we don't point out, I contributed to X or Y doesn't mean no one here has, and by and large we are the ones who are doing the criticism. Its not baseless criticism, we are not anti-mandrake....THIS IS NOT the patriot act homepage.... must of us here consider criticising something we care for as a duty when we beleive they are messing it up....Thus we criticise what we beleive to be pretty stupid screw-ups BECUASE we care!!!

Now unto 1/2 CD of updates in 2 weeks!!!!

Unfortunately this is a problem.....

Firstly ... if you HAVE broadband and have only used recent mandrake by broadband YOU are not qualified to say 400MB is trivial to download. If you sell a product in a box-set that YOU KNOW has 400MB of downloads you should say so. I gwet REALLY sick of people who have broadband or unmetered access saying how its just a quick update...

Either Mandrake is a 'online' distro (like Debian) OR a BoxSet distro.

Box Sets should not be sold when they are 400MB out of date....

Many people will buy them becuase they are not confident in downloading 3 CD's or running updates over the web. Their is nothing intrinsically wrong with having the updates so early.... its the combination with selling them out-of-date that sucks!!!

AND

So what if MS do it????? Who cares, its stuff like this that made many of us dump MS in the first place.

I actually find this constant comparison of any linux distro with MS as insulting.... If you want to make comparisons make them with OS-X or Solaris or AIX....

Gmac....

Sorry guys BUT he's right!!!!

AND FINALY::::

"anyways, if someone is obviously stating that another person is of a lower intelligence or the such, for any reason, the mods will be editing his post and sending him a PM, I assure you of that. I do not see anywhere that that has been dne here-but i warn all to tread carefully on this topic!"

Well, with the obvious exceptions (who are back and behaving well so thats water under the bridge) Ive never seen anyone doing that here!!!

However .... and you know who you are .....

Next time you quote me out of context and cut up my sentences and string them together ... I will do the same as last time... Not respond!!

If you wanna quote then please do it in such a way as you maintain the context of what the other person was saying.... this isn't polititions on an election run-up.....

You might not agree... (and you have every right) BUT please don't cut out bits from a post and string them together to make it look like I said something I didn't....