Failed boot

xboxboy

Last night i had a few minor updates, accepted them like normal.

Today i could not boot to x windows. I got a message

Checking root filesystem
fsck.ext2: is a directory while trying to open /
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8139 <device>

So I tried that, and running fsck....all before finding out this shouldn't be done on a mounted partition!

I luckily come across a suse forum thread where someones fstab file was corrupted, so I checked in mine:

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

That doesn't seem right, so I renamed that to fstab_orig and copied my fstab.old and named the new copy fstab and now my system will boot.

What has caused this?

ls -al fstab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 601 2009-02-20 17:40 fstab

Isn't fstab owned and only changeable by root?

I am annoyed this occured, as I was getting close to a reinstall, and I can do with out a massive download in updates. I'm saving that for 2010.

Anyone have any thoughts why this occured?

If you are running 2009.0, then the setup package was updated. You should have been asked if you wanted to overwrite your fstab (and of course you should have answered "no"). I thought that a change had been made to avoid this from happening, but it seems not. Although I have not (yet) seen any reports of other users being "bitten" by this.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508