<installation failed, some files are missing:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/urpmi-4.2-34.1mdj.noarch.rpm

You may want to update your database>

I tried

<urpmi urpmi-4.2-34.1mdj.noarch.rpm>

and my response is

<unable to access rpm file [urpmi-4.2-34.1mdj.noarch.rpm]

error registering local packages>

what command do I use to update my database?

This is alot like the problems I had before, it wouldn't register local packages and then urpmi stopped working and them my computer stopped working.

in terminal, as root:

rm -f /var/lib/rpm

then:

rpm --rebuilddb

before you do that, are you sure that you don't have another urpmi process running already? if so, that would lock it & prevent you from running another urpmi process. did you look at what processes you have running? if you see urpmi, then kill it from terminal before trying to rebuild.

Chris

to get your data bases back, have you tried.....

urpmi.removemedia -a

then use easy urpmi to add your external rpm sources. then, manually add your cd sources back using MCC->software sources manager.

Chris

I don't know if you are up for it or specifically if it will work better on dial-up, but I understand Ximian's Red Carpet is absolutely amazing. I have used it a bit but I know of people who use it like crazy and find it bulletproof. It may be worth a try if you get desperate.

Incidentally, I hadn't put much effor into Red Carpet yet because I have been having such good luck with urpmi since finding a really good source, but now my urpmi is broken and I am stuck. It simply hangs after downloading everything and beginning to attempt the install of the appropriate packages. Bummer.

Anyway, if you want to give it a try, go to www.Ximian.com and check out Red Carpet.

Oh yeah, you were told that it wouldn't remove a directory because of the lack of the -R switch. When removing an entire directory you want to use "rm -Rf <location>"

The main problem for my sources is/are contrib and updates, all the other ones seem to be pretty reliable. Occasionally main has trouble. The main one is contribs. The only site I have had work for contribs is darenet. I haven't found any others that will work. I wonder why contribs has such a problem? I don't know what ximian is but I will check it out.