Mandriva Help

Guest 12volt

mandriva 2009.1 when booting, at the last screen before desktop it hang's. at the bottem of the screen it reads "STARTING SESSION MANAGER" was booting fine. i dont know what happened or how fix it

Please help. thanks, 12volt

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman]

I have experienced the same thing and all attempts to get past it were fruitless so gave up on it. (wasn't worth my time to chase an answer - 2008-Spring serves me well)

Am just curious about the possible solution since I see someone else has had the same problem.

Cheers. John.

I've had some problems on my laptop - it would not really start/boot the system.

The fix? I hit alt-sysrq-e.

Perhaps that needs to be preceded with a alt-sysrq-r, not sure.

Something got unstuck due to that, and after that magic keystroke it booted fine. (I actually had to do that every time on 2009.1 on this laptop. Now I'm running 2010.0 beta's and this is now fixed.)

I actually wanted to shut down the system since it wouldn't move anymore. (alt-sysrq-r,e,s,s,u,i,b is the thing to do to get the system to restart when only the kernel is alive, but for instance X is dead..)

Obviously I don't know if this will help in your case, but it won't hurt. If the system really doesn't move, use the sequence I mentioned, instead of hard switching / power cycling or so.

Edited by aRTee

A little more detail regarding the aRTee post.

Tom Berger

The Magic SysRq Key

This feature allows you to do some basic maintenance tasks even if the rest of the system isn't responding. It is enabled by default on Mandrake Linux. In particular, it allows you to shutdown your system properly, thus avoiding the risk of file system corruption when simply turning the machine off with media still being mounted.

The 'SysRq' sequence involves pressing three keys at once, theleft ALT key, the 'SysRq' key (also labeled 'PrtSc' or 'F13') and a letter key:

<ALT> <SysRq> <r> puts the keyboard in 'raw' mode.

This might be helpful in cases where the graphical interface does not respond to keyboard or mouse commands any more. Having pressed that sequence, press <ALT> <CTRL> <BACKSPACE> simultaneously. This will try to kill the X server and drops you onto the console (i.e. it's the emergency key combination to switch from runlevel 5 to runlevel 3).

<ALT> <SysRq> <s> attempts to write all unsaved data to disk ('sync' the disk) to prevent file corruption.

<ALT> <SysRq> <e> sends a termination signal to all processes, except for 'init'.

<ALT> <SysRq> <i> sends a kill signal to all processes, except for init, thus terminating all processes which ignored the termination signal.

<ALT> <SysRq> <u> remounts all mounted file systems read-only. This prevents file system corruption.

<ALT> <SysRq> <b> reboots the system. Alternatively, replace the 'b' with an 'o' to turn the machine off.

If you look at this sequence, you see that you are - apart from the first step - actually emulating the 'init' shutdown process. Therefore it is important that you press these sequences in the correct order (e.g. that you 'sync' the drives before remounting them): Raw -Sync - tErm - kIll -Umount - reBoot. A possible mnemonic phrase: 'Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring'. Mandrake Linux user Louis suggested this phrase, which is a bit more on topic: 'Remembering the Sequence Entirely Is Useful Buddy'.

It's not very important when you sync, just do it before unmounting and wait for the disk light to stop burning. That's why I put the s double, I actually keep hitting s until the light doesn't come up anymore...

You could do r s e s i s s u b or so. Whatever you do, make sure the sync is done.

thanks all. but i tried all this and no help.don't no, hang's same place every time so i reinstalled

and that fixed it. but now grub wont boot my win-XP. one thing after the other, my wife is going to

KILL me!!! i know how to fix the MBR on windows but i don't know about grub. is it posable to boot

linux from windows? or how do i fix grub so windows will boot? please help, wife is VERY unhappy lol.

thanks 12volt

Yes, to boot Windows, just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the following to the bottom of the file:

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

assuming that Windows is the very first partition of your disk, then it will be hd0,0 - otherwise, change this accordingly.