Author a DVD9 (dual-layer) Video DVD

theYinYeti

I have a family VCR tape I value a lot, and I want to convert it to DVD format.

So far, harnessing all the power I could get from “sedentaire†and my simple PCTV Stereo card, (using mencoder, mpeg2, vqscale=2), I managed to transform the 3hr tape into a single 768×576 video file, tens of GB in size.

I have also selected the mplayer parameters that give IMO the best compromise between detail and image quality (noise removal, color adjustment…). I'm no expert, though, and I may later ask for advice on this topic.

Last but not least, I have written down in a file the exact beginning frame and ending frame of each sequence I want to encode individually.

Now I want to post-process this file to obtain sequences that will all fit on a DVD. I'll author the DVD by creating several menus to launch the sequences in the order I want; I have past experience with simple menu-making, and dvdauthor usage.

Knowing the cumulative length of all sequences, I computed an average video bit-rate (VBR) so that it could all fit on a standard single layer DVD.

My attempt has been to iterate on the sequences-file (with a script) to post-process each sequence (using -idl and -endpos) by applying the “best†parameters I had found and the VBR I had computed (two-pass). And I was disappointed by the resulting quality.

Having no expertise in audio-video processing, I'm thinking about raising the VBR. To do this, I need to author a dual-layer disk. Is it possible?

Yves.

Having no expertise in audio-video processing, I'm thinking about raising the VBR. To do this, I need to author a dual-layer disk. Is it possible?

Yves.

Sure, as far as know there is nothing special involved, any current version burner software like for example k3b or growisofs will burn a dual-layer disk for you if the size of the data is bigger than 4.5GB and you have a burner capable of dual-layer.

See this thread too:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/83724-problems-burning-double-layer-discs-and-isos/

Thank you tux99. But that thread is about burning a data DVD. Did you try burning a Video DVD directory tree on a double-layer media?

Yves.

Yes, but not from home videos, only backups of movie DVDs, but that should be the same once you have authored the VIDEO_TS folder onto hard disk and then transformed it into iso format.

I used growisofs to write the .iso onto the dual-layer DVD, like this:

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/hdd=/data/dvd.iso

/dev/hdd is my DVD burner, replace as necessary.

Edited by tux99

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.