Installing Mandriva RC 2009.1 from HD? Please Help

Guest Maran

Hi everyone, recently I downloaded a Mandriva 2009 CD iso format, unfortunately my CD-ROM isn't working, and I can't boot from a USB, however I followed the guides written at wiki.mandriva.com and other websites and managed to get the iso booted, however when it comes to partioning, and after I created 3 partitions already, one as a "linux swap", one as root (/), and one as home (/home), and after formatting, an error message displays saying "this location doesn't seem to contain any distribution", followed by another message which says "package base system not found", and some options to choose, the first is 'none', the second is 'CD ROM', the third is 'http', the fourth is 'ftp', and the fifth and final option is 'nfs'.

Knowing that the CD I downloaded was labelled "mandriva-linux-20091" from here:

http://tinhoc.vno.vn/archive/index.php/t-119.html

The methods I used for booting directly from the iso is the one decribed here:

http://mightydreams.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-am-describing-here-method-to-install.html

I have a 40 GB hard disk Toshiba A50, with two partitions, one is C containing XP and it is about 11 GB, the other is E and I keep it for sources and files, and it is about 14 GB, while the rest is unpartitioned (I leave it for Mandriva installation)

So, is the problem with the CD? and if it is, so which package is the most suitable to apply it with the above installation method?

Please help, I have been trying to figure it out for the last 3 days!

Did you perhaps overwrite the partition with the ISO file on it, when formatting swap, /, and /home?

Or maybe Mandriva differs from SuSe by requiring a directory tree for installing from HD, instead of a single ISO file…

Please report on these points. I have no further idea, though… Installing from hard disk is something I've never done.

By the way, what is your “level†with Linux? And do you have a floppy drive?

Yves.

You cannot use the ONE iso as an installation source in this way. You need an iso with a full installer - either the Free DVD or the dual-arch CD.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installing_Mandriva_Linux#Installation_from_hard_disk

Jim

P.S. It would probably be better to download the released version rather than an RC. They are available on all the mirrors, for example:

ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/iso/2009.1/

Edited by jkerr82508

Did you perhaps overwrite the partition with the ISO file on it, when formatting swap, /, and /home?

Or maybe Mandriva differs from SuSe by requiring a directory tree for installing from HD, instead of a single ISO file…

Actually No, I didn't, I have already two partitions, the C which is containing the XP installation and it is 11 GB (30% of the HD) , and the E which contain the .iso file (37% of the HD), both I didn't format, I just formated the other remaining space, making three partitions like I said, swap, root (/), and home (/home).

My level is "Absolute Zero" (I am currently an XP user, and I really would like to switch), and No! I don't have a floppy, neither CD-ROM, or either the ability to boot from USB!!!

You cannot use the ONE iso as an installation source in this way. You need an iso with a full installer - either the Free DVD or the dual-arch CD.

But this wasn't the ONE CD?

Anyway, I will try the Dual arch, thanks for the links!

The only official Mandriva CD's available are the ONE CD's and the dual-arch and so I'm puzzled as to what CD you were using.

Jim

OK, this might help:

21080174.png

Edited by Maran

Ok, replaced the CD by the Dual Arch, and it worked fine!

Thanks guys for all your help!

I will soon post the complete guide for installing Mandriva 2009 without CD-ROM, USB, or even Floppy!