HUGE letters on GDM [solved]

theYinYeti

It's a Packard Bell laptop. It used to run Debian 3, and was updated, upgraded, and so on… until late 2008, early 2009 (I don't remember), after a very big upgrade (to Deb.4?), when suddenly all letters on GDM screen were huge. But after login, all was fine, so I did nothing until summer came.

I played a bit with config files, and searched Internet (nothing found…). As I could not find any cure to this problem, I decided to remove Debian, and install Mandriva 2009.1 instead.

To my great surprise, Mandriva installation screens suffered the same huge letters, but I finally managed to get Mandriva installed (using One IIRC, thus bypassing those screens).

Seeing the problem occured on install screens, I expected the GDM screen to behave the same, and of course it did. So the problem clearly is not related to Debian but rather to the hardware. I suspect the graphics chip is reporting a wrong DPI value, and some sort of auto-configuration takes place using this value, until the desktop is displayed, where Gnome forces a fixed (and approximately good) value of 96dpi.

Can anyone help me set the correct character size on GDM?

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

I'm using KDM, so this is from memory and may not be accurate. :)

Look in the /usr/share/gdm/themes/your-theme-name/your-theme-name.xml file for the font types and sizes, then edit it with your preferences. Replace your-theme-name with the theme you're using.

There should also be a gui way to do this, but I can't remember.

To get an overall correct result, I did the following change.

In gdmsetup, under the “Security†tab, there's a button for opening an advanced configuration panel for the X server. In there, for both the Standard and the Chooser servers, I added “ -dpi 96†to the command-line.

Then (as root), “service dm restartâ€, and all is fine :)

Yves.