flash plug-in installation

fuzzylizard

I have been trying to install the flash plugin on my mandrake 9.2 box. I downloaded the flash installer from macromedia and ran it as root and everything seemed to work with no problem -- I checked the plugin directory and the two flash files are there. However, when I open mozilla, it is not seeing the plugins.

Has anyone else had this problem?

(I posted this yesterday, but it seems to have dissapeared. Sorry if this gets posted twice)

Okay, that basically killed Mozilla for me. I did both of the above, I used the rom version on the site here and I had to install libstdc++ as well and now I get this error

Error launching browser window: TypeError:

Components.classes['@mozilla.org/appshell/component/browser/instance;1'] has no properties

So now I try to uninstall everything and hope I can fix Moz.

Sorry if libstdc++ crashed your Moz, but I think it's not capable of that. You can try this to find out why the plugin doesn't:

Run mozilla in a xterm terminal. If the plugin cannot be loaded successfully it will output an error message. Hopefully that message will help you figure out what the problem is. In my case, I saw something like "libflashplayer.so error, cannot find libstdc++...blahblahblah"

Nope, no error in the shell window, just the error dialog box that I mentioned above.

I tried uninstalling the FlashPlayer and the libstdc++ rpm's and Mozilla is still screwed.

So... anyone know how I can reinstall Mozilla from the CD's?

Nope, no error in the shell window, just the error dialog box that I mentioned above.

I tried uninstalling the FlashPlayer and the libstdc++ rpm's and Mozilla is still screwed.

So... anyone know how I can reinstall Mozilla from the CD's?

if you installed mozilla with the mdk9.2 package, simply do

rpm -e mozilla

or use the graphics interface in the control center. I think it's called rpmdrake (cannot check it because I'm away from my mdk box now)

if you installed from the mozilla binary, simply delete the mozilla directory.

i don't have 9.2 (9.1 here), but, to go back to Moz 1.4, first.......uninstall Moz1.5. if it was a tar.gz installation, simply delete the Mozilla1.5 directory wherever the main install is in. if it was a rpm install, open MCC->remove software packages->type moz in the search box->check it->remove. then, run MCC->add software packages->type moz in the search box->click search->install. it will find it in your CD data base & you can install it from there.

Chris

Well, I have now removed the package using the GUI package tool and reinstall it using urpmi twice and it still doesn't work. There is something else going wrong here. I just have no clue as to what.

RIP Mozilla, it was nice while it lasted.

I am glad I have opera installed and working. If I ever get this back up and running, I definitely think I can live without flash.

rant...

how the (*#^$(#*$& does installing three packages completely screw a program like Mozilla. Yea, Linux is ready for the )#($*)#($* desktop, definitely!!!

(sorry about that, just a little frustrated right now :angry::angry::angry: )

another thought or 2.......

after you removed Moz1.5, did you check if the Moz folder in your /home directory was also removed? if it wasn't, that may be screwing up your personal settings in Moz & causing conflicts. also, did you uninstall Flash before reinstalling the Moz from your cd's? i know you're getting frustrated (i know the feeling......) but try this........

uninstall flash........

uninstall moz (again :blink: )

delete the moz folder from your home directory if it still exists.....(you'll lose all your moz preferences, just so ya know)

reinstall moz.......

reinstall flash........

try running moz again.......

Chris

• 5 weeks later...