web server accessible from the front page [solved]

4di

I will work on part of server administration but editing the web pages on my webserver will be someone who is used to the front page .... what can i do that pages in / var / www / html can be edited with FrontPage from another computer with another IP. On the old server I used the system in windows like this : My Network Places - Map network drive, I wrote the web address, server asked me for user login and password, then i go to front page logged in with user and passw and edit pages.On my new web server i don't know how to do that. I forgot to mention that former server was managed by someone else and I can not find him to explain me, out of country.

With great respect,

Adrian

[moved from Tips and Tricks by Greg2]

The editing tool can be freely chosen, be it Front Page or anything better, with no relation to the server setup.

Whatever tool you use to edit the pages, you have to access the files first. There are several common ways to access the server pages' storage location: SSH, FTP, or WebDAV (on HTTP).

Tell us what access protocol you use (or if you did not setup any), and someone should be able to help you. Look also at what protocol the tools you intend to use (eg: Front Page) do understand.

Yves.

Well… it looks like both you and the person who will edit the pages are rather beginners in computing, or at least where Linux is concerned. Nothing wrong with that (we all were at some point), but I'll therefore try and suggest the most simple solution possible.

I hope the other computer, with Windows and Front Page on it, is on the same network as your server's network. If that is so, the easiest route, in my opinion, provided you trust this person enough, is to give this person direct access to the files through a “windows share†(done with the “Samba†software on linux).

To do that, open the “Configure your computer†program (this is my translation from French so some words may differ), also known as “mccâ€.

You'll need a local Unix user for your co-worker. If that's not already done, go to the “System†section, and select the “Manage users†item. In there, in the “Actions†menu, select “Add userâ€, enter his full name, choose a short and simple user name, an appropriate password, and that's all; click OK, and then “Quit†in the “File†menu.

Now, still in the control center, in the “Network shares†section, select the “Share your disks and folders with Windows systems (Samba)†item.

Under the “Samba users†tab, you'll create a local “Windows†login for your co-worker. Click on the “Add†button, select the user you just created in the list, and enter the same password.

Under the “Files shares†tab, you'll create the share. Click the “Add†button, and in the window, enter “server_html†for the share name, and “/var/www/html†(no spaces) for both the folder and the comment; validate with OK.

Select the share in the list and click the “Modify†button. In the window, select “yes†for the option “visible on the network†(or “browsableâ€?). Under the advanced user options, enter your co-worker login both as an authorized user and us a user with write permission, and enter “apache†as a “Forced groupâ€. Under the advanced file options, select “yes†for the option “keep characters case†(or “case-sensitiveâ€?). Validate.

In the “File†menu, select “Write configurationâ€, then select “Restart†from the “Samba server†menu. Quit.

Unfortunately, there's one needed option that does not appear in the Mandriva tool. So we'll do this by hand: open a terminal window (usually in the “Tools†menu), and enter “su - root†and the [Enter] key. You'll be asked for the root password; type it and press the [Enter] key again. You'll see the prompt change from your own “…$†to root's “…#â€. Then type “gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf†(if you use Gnome) or “kedit /etc/samba/smb.conf†(if you use KDE), and in the text editor, go to the end of the file. You'll see a line like “force group = apacheâ€; duplicate this line, and change one of them by replacing “group†by “userâ€, so you'll end up with something like this:

force group = apache
   force user = apache

Save the file and exit the editor. Now in the terminal window, while still being root, type “service smb restartâ€. You can close everything, you're done. Well, you might also have to allow Samba through your firewall (Security section in MCC).

Your co-worker should be able to attach a network drive to “\\your_server_ip\server_htmlâ€.

Yves.