no wireless

kilimanjaro

Aloha Everyone

I just installed 2009.1 on my new Toshiba Satelite:

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/A500/A505D-S6968

So I'm not sure if I found the correct driver and if it is than I can't seem to get it to work. When I look at the hardware, it doesn't even show m wireless card. I know it is there, because I used it before I installed Mandrake.

[moved from Networking by Greg2]

[kili@localhost ~]$ lspcidrake -v | egrep -i 'network|wireless'r8169

: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.|RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:10ec device:8136 subv:1179 subd:ff1e) unknown

: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.|Device 8192 [NETWORK_OTHER] (vendor:10ec device:8192 subv:10ec subd:8181)

I have no idea what any of this means

The Linux kernels supplied with Mandriva 2009.1 do not have native driver support for your Realtek 8192 wireless chipset. I would suggest that you use ndiswrapper with a Windows XP driver (.inf file) for your card. I don't believe that a 64-bit Vista driver will work properly, if at all.

Are you using 32-bit Mandriva? If you find a Windows XP driver file for your card, and you need help to use it with ndiswrapper, please post here again.

The Linux kernels supplied with Mandriva 2009.1 do not have native driver support for your Realtek 8192 wireless chipset. I would suggest that you use ndiswrapper with a Windows XP driver (.inf file) for your card. I don't believe that a 64-bit Vista driver will work properly, if at all.

Are you using 32-bit Mandriva? If you find a Windows XP driver file for your card, and you need help to use it with ndiswrapper, please post here again.

What is I am using 64 bit?

So I downloaded a driver from here:http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=6&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

When I tried to install it I got this reply: "No device supporting net rtlx ndiswrapper driver is present"

I clicked OK and this came up next: "Some components (Windows Driver) are required but not available for this ndiswrapper hardware. The required files can also be installed from this URL. http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List"

I checked this out and there was nothing to download for my card just this:http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Realtek_RTL8180

If I am doing something wrong please let me know.

Edited by kilimanjaro

So it seems like it doesn't even recognize that there is a wireless device. When ever I try to use ndiswrapper it says that there is a missing component, and when I use the device manager it doesn't show a wireless device. It just shows "device 8192" under the heading ethernet card

Any ideas on what to do next?

kili

Edited by kilimanjaro

You have not answered my questions. This is the last time I will ask you, are you using Mandriva 32-bit or 64-bit?

If you are using Mandriva 32-bit, you can d/l the Wireless_LAN_Realtek_1674.1.0518.2009.zip file from here: samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/support

Then extract the file and place the WinXP2K directory in a convenient location. That directory contains the net819xp.inf, rtl819xp.sys, and the net819xp.cat files. Now using ndiswrapper load the net819xp.inf file in that directory.

If you're using 64-bit, I can't find you a 64-bit XP inf file to use. So you will have to find one.

You have not answered my questions. This is the last time I will ask you, are you using Mandriva 32-bit or 64-bit?

If you are using Mandriva 32-bit, you can d/l the Wireless_LAN_Realtek_1674.1.0518.2009.zip file from here: samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/support

Then extract the file and place the WinXP2K directory in a convenient location. That directory contains the net819xp.inf, rtl819xp.sys, and the net819xp.cat files. Now using ndiswrapper load the net819xp.inf file in that directory.

If you're using 64-bit, I can't find you a 64-bit XP inf file to use. So you will have to find one.

I'm sorry, I thought I did answer you. I am using 64 bit, and I found an xp 64 bit driver and I posted the results above, from when I tried to us the ndiswrapper.

I'm assuming that you've downloaded the PCI_Install_5719_0331.zip file from that URL? If you have, I can't find your wireless card driver listed in it.

I've searched the web for you and found several Linux users that are using the 32-bit driver with a 32-bit system, however I can't find anyone who has it working on a 64-bit system. I'm sorry.

I'm assuming that you've downloaded the PCI_Install_5719_0331.zip file from that URL? If you have, I can't find your wireless card driver listed in it.

I've searched the web for you and found several Linux users that are using the 32-bit driver with a 32-bit system, however I can't find anyone who has it working on a 64-bit system. I'm sorry.

I downloaded the Driver_XP_5719_033 file, which is 64 bit XP. The problem is that it doesn't seem like the operating system even recognizes that there is a wireless card.

So it seems like it doesn't even recognize that there is a wireless device. When ever I try to use ndiswrapper it says that there is a missing component, and when I use the device manager it doesn't show a wireless device. It just shows "device 8192" under the heading ethernet card

kili

OK, so I installed the 32 bit version of Mandriva and I get the same result as above with the 64 bit version.