Dual boot two Mandriva releases

theYinYeti

Sure you can, I have 2008.1 and 2009.1 as dual-boot on my desktop PC.

It doesn't matter if /boot is separate or not, as long as you don't share any partitions between the two installs (/home can be shared but it can still potentially cause problems when switching back and forth so I would only recommend it if you use different users for the two installs).

Edited by tux99

Sure you can, I have 2008.1 and 2009.1 as dual-boot on my desktop PC.

It doesn't matter if /boot is separate or not, as long as you don't share any partitions between the two installs (/home can be shared but it can still potentially cause problems when switching back and forth so I would only recommend it if you use different users for the two installs).

I have Mandriva and Ubuntu each with its own /boot directory. The last installed /boot is the active.

What if I want the old one to be the active /boot? I want 2009.1's /boot to be the active one, as one day I'll upgrade it to 2010.0 final. Meantime, I'd like to test 2010.0 beta and rc.

Won't Mandriva 2009.1 become confused, if another (more recent) Mandriva inserts stuff into its /boot folder?

Now that I think about it, maybe making 2010's /boot active would indeed be the right choice; if I understand correctly, from 2009.1's point of view, it will be as if nothing had ever happened, and then later I suppose I'll be able to restore 2009.1's clean boot loader using Free DVD…

Did I understand correctly?

Yves.

What if I want the old one to be the active /boot? I want 2009.1's /boot to be the active one, as one day I'll upgrade it to 2010.0 final. Meantime, I'd like to test 2010.0 beta and rc.

When you install 2010 just skip the boot loader installation and add the entry for 2010 manually in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file on 2009.1

Something like this (this is an example without a separate /boot, with a separate /boot you would have to leave out the /boot and use the partition number of the /boot partition):

title Mandriva 2010.0
root (hd0,8)
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=86749152-7532-46be-a75c-b748379b6f55
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img

hd0,8 is the partiton containing 2010.0, in this case hd0,8=/dev/sda9 (grub starts counting from zero)

UUID=86749152-7532-46be-a75c-b748379b6f55 is the UUID of the Mandriva 2010.0 partition

you can find the UUID of all partition by typing the command 'blkid'

Edited by tux99